Chapter 6: Those Who Give

Coy ducked under the bus stop overhang and practically threw himself onto the bench. His clothing let out a small waterfall of rainwater as he attempted to wring it out. He gave a brief nod to the homeless man next to him, who was leaning against his old shopping cart full of his belongings.

   Coy dejectedly slumped down, and groaned, rubbing a particular bruise on his arm, and stared blankly at the sidewalk. He had no money for the bus, no phone to call a ride, and no idea how to get home, and it was pouring down rain. Today was not his day. First he had detention, then he missed the bus, then he got robbed and lost his belongings, and now he was not only beat up, but stuck at a bus stop in the rain.

     Coy glanced at the older man next to him, and wondered just how he lived the way he did, and seemed perfectly content with it too. The old man was not uncomfortable, or unhappy from Coy's perspective, while he himself was absolutely miserable. His mind couldn't wrap around it.
The old man noticed Coy's staring and small look of concern filled his features.

     "Hey, boy, are you alright? Lost or something?" He asked.
Coy sighed, and decided to voice some of his thoughts, "I guess. I just can't get home. My money and phone get stolen, and I can't walk home, not in this weather." Coy sighed.

    The old man nodded, seeming to understand, "Well, when you put in that way, I make myself seem rather irresponsible." Coy let out a hollow chuckle, and went back to staring at the ground.

    "You don't have no way home? You don't look to good either, I'm guessing whoever took your things didn't ask nicely." The older man sighed as well, before an unrecognizable look came into the old man's eyes, and he started rummaging through his things.

     Coy looked at him curiously, wondering what he could be looking for all of a sudden. His eyes widened when he saw a simple wallet. The old man attempted to hand him a $10 bill and Coy held up his hands.

     "I can't take that, this is my problem, not yours I can figure it out myself." Coy exclaimed, not wanting to take the man's money.

     The old man gestured for him to take it again, and reluctantly, Coy accepted the bill. He was handed a few quarters as well.

    "There's a good pay phone right over there, call yourself a cab and get home." He smiled at Coy, and Coy looked back and forth between the old man and the money.

     "Are you sure?" Coy asked, confused and hesitant.

      The old man seemed to puff up a bit, "Of course! I'm homeless, not unemployed, now take the money and get yourself a ride home, though hospital would do you better. I was young once too and got into plenty of scuffles. Now get, shoo, go home before I change my mind." The old man gestured towards the phone on the side of a wall and waved his hands for Coy to go away. With a nod and a grateful "thank you", Coy approached the phone and slipped a quarter in.