The Sand Sea

Long ago, in a faraway land, there was a village, nestled in the sand. It was a town that was known all around, for it was the place that could not be found.

The village would move you see, from one spot to another all across the Sand Sea. For out in the heat and the endless sand, there is little life in that godforsaken land.

The people atop the great plateau could see the village move to-and-fro. Yet only the bravest would venture out, to where they saw it blow about. Of those foolish enough to descend, few were ever seen again. Some liked to believe they had made it to the village of blissful dreams, yet most thought they were lost in the desert's deep-rooted seams.

That is why, when a young man named Canto wanted to try, his mother took him aside, and carefully did confide, "It's better where we are up high; safe and close to the sacred sky. Here we are secure on the great plateau, and safe from the evil desert below, there is food and shade here and water aplenty, while out in the sand you will surely be empty."

But Canto did not believe that life up there was all that great. He told his mother how he felt and started a rather heated debate.

"I'm tired," he said, "of only knowing rocks for my bed. Of having to hunt on this lifeless surface, what is the purpose? Every day it's the same; wandering atop this worthless cliff in shame. If I have one more bite of rabbit stew, I think I will vomit and catch the flu! How can you stand it mother? How can this be? Living in fear of the stupid Sand Sea?"

"Hush now child and get to bed! No supper for you; enough has been said. Think upon the wonderful life we have led, so long as we stay atop the mountain's great head. It is far better than wandering around in the Sand Sea. Up here you are safe. Up here you are free."

That cold and dreary night, Canto sat in his tent by his campfire's meager light. He looked out at the other members of his sorry clan, watching the elder who was as happy as a clam.

They all camped next to the Pan; a solid stone basin that sat on the plateau's left hand. Here a spring of water existed that gave them their minimal life, an existence filled with much toil and strife.

Just barely could the spring water provide, enough sustenance for their few withered crops to survive. The rest had to be fed on what little could be bred, from the small and hardy domestic goats, or hunting the wild rabbits and cutting their throats.

It was Canto's belief that without some kind of relief they would soon all be dead. For the spring of life-giving water over the past few weeks had begun to turn red.

The medicine man came, and warned the tribe's elder that bad omens would come if things stayed the same. "If something is not done to appease the God King, terrible calamity the desert will bring." But the village elder would not heed the warnings to return to the ways of the God King's Creed.

The medicine man surprised Canto by appearing in his tent, looking rather aggravated and well spent. He sat down on the ground as he asked the young man, "Do you believe what I have said concerning the Pan?"

Canto thought of the cost; he wondered how he could prevent everyone he loved from being lost.

Knowing it would not be fun, Canto asked, "What is to be done?"

The ancient man pointed out to the phantom city, like a far-off shore so distant and pretty. "Bring back a crimson flower, from the Phantom Queen's Gallo Tower...otherwise a curse on the people of the Pan I must sing; that not even a single blade of grass will grow from the blood red spring."

Canto decided, even though he felt divided, to go forth and bring back a crimson flower, from the top of Gallo's tower. Before he left though, the medicine man waved an amulet before his eyes to and fro. "On your path, you may encounter the Phantom Queen's wrath, but to help you on your way, you shall hear what others cannot say. Now go before the first light of dawn, when the city will be gone."