Danielle

Later that afternoon I was jerked awake by an incessant ringing echoing through the house. I leaped from my desk, cursing as the contents of Julies file spilled across the floor.

"hello?" I asked as I pressed the receiver to my ear.

"Adrian thank god, its Lee. I was getting desperate"

"Whoa, slow down" I say, "what's the matter?"

"You have kids, yes?" Lee asked. I didn't know how he knew this but I answered affirmative

"Right" his voice had an edge to it that I couldn't place. "Well Julie has a daughter and no other family I can locate, I was wondering," his voice took on a pleading note, "If you would look after her, there's no one else I can find". I must have grunted because he continued on, "it would only be temporary of course, but I thought I would be good to have someone who understood her situation"

A niggling thought came to mind, but I shoved it down. I frowned. "what do you mean 'understood her situation?'"

"Well you were there obviously, and..." now he sounded embarrassed, "I don't mean to pry, but I believe you lost your wife recently." A familiar stabbing grief rose up and I scrubbed furiously at my eyes. Of course he knew, I told myself, he's a detective, what did you expect.

"Okay" I find myself mumbling past the lump in my throat, "I'll take her." I was only half listening as Lee arranged the details, trying to force down the anguish that had resurfaced at the mention of my beautiful Laura.  

                                  * * * * * *

I glance at my watch ant then around the courtyard. I sighed and leaned back against the hood of my car. Lee was already 15 minutes late. He'd said he had explained the situation to Julies daughter, Danielle and that she'd grudgingly agreed. Last night I sat down with Sam an Malaki and discussed what was happening. Sam had just nodded and excused herself. Malaki had smiled and goofily wiggled his nose before demanding I read him a book. I grin, thinking of how he clumsily selected a book, thrust it into my lap and curled up on the couch opposite, watching me with his big, green eyes.

"good morning" Lee's cheerful voice jerked me from my thoughts. "About time" I mutter, opening my eyes. "Oh, don't be such a downer" Lee exclaimed, "Anyway this is Danielle." He gestured to a blonde girl standing behind him.

"Hi" I say, holding out my hand, "I'm Adrian". She glanced at my hand and stuffs hers deep within her pockets. Okay point taken.

"Danielle" Lee started, having also caught the movement, "This is the man who's going to look after y-".

"I don't need to be babysat" Danielle hissed, stalking to my car and flinging herself inside.

"Well" Lee winced, "that could have gone smoother". He turned but paused and smiled over his shoulder "good luck". I sighed. This could be a long ride home.

                            * * * * * *

I fumbled in my coat for the key, then let Danielle inside. "My two will be home soon" I told her "so you might as well make yourself comfortable while is quiet. Your rooms second on the right and the toilets through the kitchen on your left". She brushed past me, mumbling something that sounded like whatever.

It's fine, I told myself, she's been through a lot and just needs some space. But I was trying hard to convince myself and after 35 minutes of her stonily gazing out the window and 6 failed conversation starts, my patience was wearing a bit thin. I mentally shook myself and head for the kitchen. "Your want a drink?" No answer.

5 minutes later a door crashes open and a herd of elephants stampedes down the hall. "Malaki" I scold as he flew through the door. "I've told you not to wear gumboots inside". I gently reach down to pull one off and stand it against the wall, making sure he sees what I'm doing. His tiny hand grabs my arm as he reaches down to remove his other boot. He beams proudly as he stands the second one next to the first.

"Hi dad!" the moment is broken as Sam pops her head around the door. Her cheeks are flushed and she is breathing hard from the run back from the park. She may be older, but Malaki has always been the faster of the two. "Come on Mal," she says holding out her hand, "Do you want some fruit?" He nods enthusiastically, launching himself at a chair. "What do you want?" Sam asks, holding up an apple and a banana. His eyes waver. "Or" she digs around in the fruit bowl before pulling out a mango. Malaki's hand shoots out and snatches it from her grasp. He looks down at it cradled in his palm, up at Sam, then back to the mango. She laughs and ruffles his hair. "Its okay" she tells him "this ones all yours." Malaki is practically wriggling with glee.

I smile sadly. 14 and she's already become a mother, replacing the one Malaki lost. I turn to leave and find Danielle standing in the doorway, watching Sam. She can see it too. She glances at me and the look is gone, her face scrunching up as she turns and runs.

The movement catches Malaki's attention and he freezes, the mango clutched to his chest. "That's Danielle" I tell him. He tilts his head, eyes still locked on the door. But then his focus returns to he precious mango and he is off and dancing again.