Chapter 1

Aleksandra swept her silky ebony hair into a twist and pinned it with a silver and bone hairpin with inset diamonds. Steps sounded from the stairway outside her bedroom and quickly Aleksandra pulled on her elbow length black satin gloves, covering up her scarred hands. A maid walked into her room with a box, probably containing her mask. The maid curtseyed politely.

"My lady. Your mask has been sent up." The maid opened the box to show her. Inside was a swan mask with a flame like a plume rising up on one side. It was aquamarine and white with light blue feathers and cloth flowers. The maid tied the mask on and helped Aleksandra into a soft emerald green ball gown and flexible soft black slippers.

A few minutes later Aleksandra floated down the stairs where she was greeted by her mother.

"You look stunning my little Kit!"

"Mum I'm taller than you now!" Aleksandra retorted, laughing, and bent down to kiss her on both cheeks before heading out to the carriage with her.

°°°

Maddalena resurfaced and flipped her long hair, spraying water the entire distance of the room.

"Maddalena! This is a bathtub, not a pool!" one of Maddalena's three maids exclaimed, in a strong accent. Another poured some incense type thing into the water. The water bubbled. Maddalena sighed and relaxed back, only to be put into position by a maid.

They ushered her out of the bath and dried her body, then dressed her in underclothes and lead Maddalena to her dressing room.

Maddalena's eyes widened when she saw the dress that hung before her. It was black. The top part was strapless and a bit like a corset. It was embroidered with interesting golden patterns. The corset would fall perfectly to Maddalena's hips if she were to put it on. From there spanned the skirt of the dress. Maddalena stretched a hand forward and touched the skirt. It had a silk layer underneath and had a single tulle layer above. The skirt was also embroidered carefully with golden patterns and silver sparkles. The maids helped Maddalena into the dress and a pair of matching shoes.

"Oh Gosh, you look stunning. Just wait till you get the mask on."

A maid moved over to an enormous wooden box and opened it. Maddalena's breath caught. The mask was stunning. Truly stunning. It was a gold half face mask. Feathers spanned out of the centre. They were black but glowed dark green. Closer towards the centre of the mask, the feathers grew shorter. They were brown with grey, black and white spots. The maids tied the ribbons around Maddalena's head with extra prudence, then added jewellery.

"You look stunning. Everyone will be impressed. Now go, with our blessings, and show that you are the beauty queen." the maids chanted, cheesily.

Maddalena thanked them for their amazing work, then went to her room and slipped a dagger into her clothes. She slipped her hands into short, lace black gloves.

As Maddalena strode down the corridor, she noticed the maids and servants staring at her. Suddenly, one cried out.

"You are the Queen of Fairness, Miss Milés! Stun the others with your beauty and grace! Hail, Miss Milés!"

"Hail, Maddalena Milés!"

°°°

Tabbyitha, or preferably Yitha, was seated outside the manor of Talula. She longed to be part of the beautiful ladies in the beautiful ballroom. Her heart ached with pain. She was a Tiinian gypsy girl, from the province of Tiina, and could not even afford the simplest mask though she did have a mask made by her grandmother for her 10th birthday as all in their caravan had one for performing. Her stubby fingernails scratched the ground, merely collecting more grime and dirt underneath them.