Chapter 9

"That's my baby! That's my baby!" My mum screamed as she struggled to pull my stepdad, Stan, through to where I was, giving up on him halfway and running into my arms.

 "Oh!Yes, honey, yes!" I mimicked her southern accent earning a pinch on my cheek.

  "Baby, you look terrible!" My mum said examining my face, " I told you to drink lots of water..."

 "But mama even water is expensive in New York!" I joked and she smiled.

 "Ladies, shall we?" My stepdad breathed as he gave me a hug and took my bags from my arms.

  Stepping out of the airport was glorious. The cool breeze and warm sun rays hit me, seducing my senses into Florida, welcoming me home. The car ride to the house was lighthearted and full of laughs. My mum sat at the back with me holding my hand as she spoke passionately about how happy she was now. Retired and in love. She told me endless stories about our neighbors laughing every minute as the wind blew through her blonde hair and the sun caught her green eyes as Stan lowered the top off his convertible.

 "You got it work?" I gasped so amazed that after all his hard work he got to motorize the top of his old convertible.

 "Oh yes, Erinn!" He laughed proud of his accomplishments.

 "Lord knows he spent more time on this old dump than he did with me!" My mum complained throwing her arms in the air dramatically.

 "Don't listen to mama, Meredith has never looked better!" I rubbed his shoulder encouragingly. 

 We pulled up to the 15 acre beach plot I grew up on and I couldn't help but look around in awe as memories from my child hood came back to me. The private school in Ireland and the summers in Florida ... I absolutely loved the latter. "I've had a lot of time on my hands so I've been working with Bob the gardener to make the place a little better," My mum said when she saw me looking around.

 "A little?" I scoffed, "Mum this is incredible!" I admired the pond at the front of the house and the beautiful flower bushes around the driveway.

  After settling in into my bedroom, I took a quick shower before heading out for a stroll on the beach, just in time to catch the sunset. I walked along the shoreline letting the water flow over feet as I reflected on what I should do next . 

 I was kicking the water  enjoying the serenity when the cutest Golden Retriever ran towards me.I looked around and there was no owner in sight so without a care I dropped on my knees to pet it. Before I knew it I was full on playing with a dog in the ocean, completely soaking up my clothes.

 "EXCUSE ME!" I heard a lady call. I looked out at the shore and saw a lady about my age in her workout gear on and her hair up in a tight bun. "THAT'S  MY DOG!" she yelled so that I could hear. "COME ON, CHAKA!" She called out.

"I'M SORRY I JUST FOUND HER AT THE BEACH!" I started to explain as Chaka looked at her, then me, her again and finally me. She licked my cheek before swimming back to it's owner. The lady gave me a weird look before attaching a leash onto her dog's wet collar and jogging off, nearly choking her dog to get it to keep up, poor thing!

 After dinner, I called Whit like I had promised. "Heeeeyyyy!" I chimed when she picked up.

 "Girl!" She exclaimed and I knew by her tone that she had some tea to spiiiillll! 

 "Talk to me!"

 "You won't believe who called me!!!"

 "Who sis who?" I gassed her up.

 " Carlos freaking Hernandez!" She answered sounding disgusted. "This boy is officially your number one stalker."

 "What did he say though?" My curiosity pressed. It had been 3 weeks since I called him, as I blocked him after.

 "He was like: I know you're Erinn's best friend," She imitated his voice, " then he had the audacity to make a demand! He demanded me to tell him where you are so I hang up on him and blocked his ass!" Whitney and I laughed at how rude she was. I filled her in on the uptight dog owner. " If I was there she would have had to explain the tone of her eyes cause that shit don't sit well with me!" Whit went off. "That's why God let this happen to you and not me, you have the stomach for these things. I mean if I were you... I'd still be rich cause Mr.Espinola would be DEAD! I would have never met Carlos cause I would have never needed a job from him in the first place, and little miss dog owner would be dogless as Chaka would officially be mine!" We laughed before Whit added, " You have the biggest heart I hope more people realise that!"