xxii

Later that night, with Ridley curled up in my arms, sleeping soundly, I let my mind wonder

Later that night, with Ridley curled up in my arms, sleeping soundly, I let my mind wonder. Telling her about my father was a moment of weakness for me, but in the moment it just felt right. I often forget Ridley lost her father too, I am not alone. Seeing my brothers again reminded me of this. Everything in my life was falling apart, and now I'm slowly managing to piece it back together. Ridley helps me do that, I know I was a wreck, but with her by my side it feels possible. I definitely feel better about myself and my job knowing that things between us are okay.

I don't feel like so much of a failure.

I turn my head to face Ridley, whose head lays on my arm, her body tucked perfectly into mine. She started sleeping with me and I can't bring myself to tell her how much it's hurting me keeping myself from her. It's not that I want to rush mating, but the Alpha blood in me is painfully making me aware of the lack of primal intimacy. I just refuse to tell her, not now when we're only just okay. She's too strong willed to fold that easily. I can tell she's cautious of me, that she doesn't love me the way I love her and I gave her every reason to be wary.

I made my bed and I will lay in it.

Mathias, I need to see you in the office.

Sunny's voice echoes in my head, it sounds urgent. Slipping away from Ridley's sleeping form was easy. She sleeps like a log, but Goldie jumps up, ready to play. I tell him to be quiet and lay with Ridley until I get back, he doesn't seem to understand, but I tuck him in next to her and whisper for him to stay. His little ears flop back, his nose twitching.

"Keep her warm until I come back." I whisper, kissing the top of his head before leaving the room.

Down in the office, Sunny is standing over a map. He looks troubled and doesn't bother greeting me when I get there. I notice Seth sitting in the corner and narrow my eyes. I know he used to have some type of feeling for Ridley, and the fact that he can read minds only further irks me. At this thought, he smirks. I growl, giving him a warning. I've had to tell him to stay out of my head too many times.

"Those rogue from before keep popping up along our boundaries. They don't seem to be bothering any of the other packs, I've made contact with the 11th and 8th tribal leaders. They know nothing about this group." Seth presses his fingers to his temples. He looks stressed. "They bewitched a guard just now and we managed to chase them off, but I can't even fathom why they are showing interest in our lands."

I press my lips together, knowing I should have slaughtered them the first time they were caught here. I wanted to be the nice Alpha, but I cannot let this slide now. They pose a serious threat to the tribe and pack. The only reason I can think why they would be hanging around is the recent shift in power. They may be testing the waters to see how much they can get away with. My father had zero tolerance for rogue, especially after the attack on Ridley's father.

"Send some of our best guard out to kill them." I decide, wincing at my own severity. It has to be done, they pose a threat to my people, and I warned them already, I can't show that I give hand outs.