xxxi

I've never been on a date. Not one that was an actual date. Fuck, I stare at Goldie. He stares back at me, with his little head cocked to one side.

"What am I going to do?" I ask, sighing as I get out of bed. He wags his tail, but of course doesn't repsond.

Fancy dinner isn't an option, Ridley isn't that type of girl. I want to do something special. Especially since it will be our first date. Admittedly, what I know about Ridley is limited. I wince at the thought, wondering how we could possibly be running a pack when we don't even know what each other's favorite color is.That's just it, between running the pack, the attacks on Ridley, my bed rest and our constant arguments, there hasn't been much time for anything else.

I smile to myself slightly, grabbing my coat and keys. Goldie struts along with me, ready to go for a ride with me until I tell him no. He whines, but runs off. Probably to tell Ridley. Chuckling I get in my car and set out into the city to gather some things for the idea I have.

The last time I was in the city, my father was with me. He was showing me around the city, taking me to meet with the city leaders. Most of them know about us werewolves, and try to stay out of our business. Dad said he always enjoyed his time in the city because there was so many different things to discover. Like when you think you've seen it all, something new pops up.

He took me to a contemporary art museum, which had a light show as an art piece. It's almost like yesterday that I saw him bathed in a red light, staring around at the projections of meatloaf on the walls. That was the last time things were okay between us. After that he found out about my drinking, after I stumbled into the house wasted. He looked at me with such disappointment. I don't know how my past self handled it without withering.

I'm just leaving a small gift shop when I hear Sam's voice in my head. He seems panicked, but also slightly off.

There's been an attack on our border, near the river.

Not again. I sigh, tossing my bags into the passenger seat as I tear out of the city, flooring it just outside the city limits. Is it the rogue again? What could they possibly want now? I'm starting to think they will never learn their lesson when it comes to staying off pack territory.

When I approach pack territory, I pull over just inside our borders and transform into a wolf, taking off in the direction of the river. When I was young, much like every other kid, I was told that the river was full of spirits willing to drag down anyone who got too close. To this day, everyone I know doesn't mess with the river. Those rogue are crazy for hanging around it.

When I arrive at the river bank, things are too quiet. I see no sign of Sam or any of the other guard members. Shifting into my human form, I furrow my eyebrows looking around. When I try to mind link Sam I hear nothing back. There's not even any sign of a struggle, let alone an attack. A bad feeling rests in the pit of my stomach as my eyes search the area.

The breaking of twig making me whip around to come face to face with the butt of a pistol.

Searing pain spreads through my body, causing my eyes to fly open. A stone ceiling greets me, dim lighting coming from a singular light bulb having over my head. My whole body is doused in an excruciating pain. I grit my teeth and turn my head to the side at the sound of a cough. Sunny's exhausted eyes meet mine from behind silver bars. He widens his eyes, breaking eye contact with me as he takes in my nude state. Sunny goes about nudging the heap in a separate cell next to him. Seth lifts his head weakly, his eyes almost black, meaning he's hungry. I almost scowl, then I catch sight of the blistering burns on one side of his face and most likely his body. They must have put him in the sun.