iii

The next morning, I wake up late

The next morning, I wake up late. I can hear the birds chirping and the sound of faint voices. But since no one came for me, I decided to take a look around my room some more. In the process, I unpack my things. My clothes barely stand to fill the drawers, and I shamefully push them all towards the back, in case someone were to open them and see how raggy they are. It wasn't until now that I felt any type of way about the way I dressed. Maybe it was just being surrounded by the amount of money in this room.

Either way, my things looked out of place. After about an hour of trying to make them fit by rearranging and rearranging again, I give up and decide to peek in the closet. The double doors slide open easily. Inside, racks and drawers full of elegant dresses, jewelry and shoes await. Stepping inside, I walk around the closet, my finger tips brush the expensive fabric.

This is all for me?

A Luna has an image to maintain. Ashia responds, breaking her silence.

What type of image to I have to maintain if I dress like I'm going to an exclusive, high end, dinner party? I pull a pale pink number from its rack. It's silly fabric seemingly sparkles in the light. I hold it to my body and try to imagine myself slipping on the thin straps. Before long I'm stripping myself of my night shirt and carefully pulling it over my head. Somehow, it fits, even with the fitted bust that swoops down in a V on my chest. It even accounts for my wide hips, flaring from my torso down. I twirl.

I've never worn anything like this. Not even to our end of year dance at school. Looking at myself in the mirror I feel a lot like a princess. A smile curves the corners of my lips. I almost turn to tell my mom how much I love the dress, only to remember she's not here. Sadness stabs my heart for a second, but I watch my face fall. And seeing the devastation displayed so clearly on a face that never usually shows that type of emotion snaps me back to reality.

I begin to shimmy out of the dress, but freeze when a throat is cleared. I raise my eyes to meet a set of green eyes. I should have smelled him.

He's got on a loose fitting V-neck tshirt and gray sweats. His hair has started to grow back already and I can see stub on his jaw. He looks exhausted, as if he hasn't slept in weeks.

We stare at each other, awkwardly for a few seconds longer.

"How long have you been there?" I ask, breaking the silence between us.

Mathias blinks, his response delayed. He scratches his chin. "Not very long." He pauses, before quickly adding, "I didn't see anything."

I purse my lips, humming as I shift my feet. "Did you need something?"

He doesn't respond for a moment, as if he's trying to remember what he came in here for. "I, uh. Figured we got off on a bad foot."

I think back to his temper tantrum and accusing me of eavesdropping. I shrug, walking over to a counter full of jewelry. "You think so?"