Unfortunate News

Rose first noticed her parents acting oddly around her and her brother, Michael. Normally strict, her mother would allow her to stay up late and listen to programs on the wireless, give Michael permission to muck about in puddles after it rained, and didnt mind if they dipped into the next days rations. Her father, who was the only source of income for the family, would come home early from work to spend time with the children and take them to see films or out for a treat. Rose wondered where he found the money to do these sort of outings, but told herself not to dwell on such matters. After all, a ten year old shouldnt have to worry about money. On a sunny Thursday morning, not long after their curious actions began, her parents behaviour was explained.

Rose panicked before her father even finished his sentence. "Absolutely not, papa! I won't do it!"

"Now, hold on Rose! Listen to what I've got to say before you get yourself worked up, darling." Her father waved his hand to indicate silence before continuing. "You and Michael are going to travel on a ship to Canada! Some families are volunteering to host British children until the war dies down."

Rose sat silently as her father continued. She was determined to keep calm and to not cry.

"Its going to be so much fun for you and your brother, darling! You'll meet new people and experience a whole new country. It'll be a good for you, Rose, doing something youve never done before!"

She heard his voice falter near the end but chose to ignore it. Defeated, Rose turned to watch her five year old brother, who was quietly making his tin planes soar through the air. He was such an innocent little boy with his gentle nature and rosy cheeks. He wouldn't know what hit him once they got on that boat.

"Michael wont be able to handle the trip. He's too soft and he'll get seasick." Rose declared, turning back to face her parents. She was filled with a fiery red anger that made her want to scream.

Her mother looked close to tears as she bounced the baby on her leg. Helen was the youngest of the family and was a surprise to them all when she arrived six months prior.

"Michael will be fine just as long as you take care of him, Rose. You'll have to make sure hes alright and be just like a mum to him while youre travelling. Do you understand, my love?"

"But I dont want to go! Why isnt Helen being sent away? Do you love her more than us?" Rose cried, forgetting to try and keep calm.

Her mother had tears rolling down her cheeks. "Of course we dont love her more than you or Michael, Rose! What a horrid thing to say! We love you three equally and we wanted her travelling along with you, but she's too young to be separated from me right now as she's still feeding. Your father and I wanted to send all three of you together to be safe and away from the war."

Rose watched as her mother broke down into sobs. While she understood that her mum was upset, she couldnt comprehend why she and Michael had to go. Surely, if her parents loved her, shed get to stay! Why did she and Michael have to be uprooted when no one else was?

"If they're still taking children over to Canada when Helen turns a year old, well have her travel over, too. But thats a while from now." Her father spoke quietly.

Rose glared at her baby sister with envy. "Lucky Helen," She said loudly before standing up, "She doesnt have to go to a new country and lose everything and everyone she loves."