Travelling

The next morning, Rose woke up early. She stuck Puddy the teddy into her coat pocket before quietly padding down the hall and slipping out of the back door into the garden. The sun was just beginning to rise and there was a slight breeze in the air. Rose sprinkled feed onto the ground for the chickens, filled a bucket with water to tend to the carrots and lettuce, and swept up some hay. She performed every task slowly and diligently as she realized that it was the last morning for a while before she'd do her chores again.

Back inside, Rose made up her bed and sat down to some toast with jam, an apple from the tree, and a glass of milk.

Mum insisted on her eating the entire meal. "You dont know the next time you'll be fed." She had lectured before turning to Michael. "Eat up your jammy toast, sweetness. You're going on a big adventure today and need to be full of energy!"

"Are you coming too, mummy?" He asked with a mouthful of apple. His face was sticky and his hands were covered with strawberry jam.

Mum wiped him clean with a cloth before answering. "Only for the first bit, and then you and Rose will go the rest of the way. You're to listen to what she has to say, Michael. Be a big boy for mummy and use your best listening skills."

He nodded as Rose placed her dishes into the sink. Her father told her not to bother with rinsing them; they were running a bit behind.

"Rose, go up to the bath and I'll scrub you clean. I've left your best dress hanging to dry outside, but Im afraid there are a few wrinkles in it. Perhaps I can iron it before you put it on."

"You're not bathing me!" Rose exclaimed indignantly. "Im too old for that!"

Mum was in no mood to argue with her. "You'll do as I say, Rose. I want you and Michael looking as clean as can be. Go up and fill the bath, please."

A few minutes later, Rose was shivering and wrapped in an old towel. Her mother made her wear her eyelet dress, even though it was beginning to look too short on her.

"If you just tug at this side it stretches out." Mum said, frantically trying to make her children look as if they had come from a magazine advert. "When did you grow so tall, Rose? Im afraid my by the time I send you the rest of your clothes they'll be too short. No matter, Im sure your host family will take you shopping for something more suitable."

Rose only grunted in response as she fastened a hair slide to her brown hair and slipped her feet into her freshly polished shoes. She held Helen closely as Mum dressed Michael into his grey wool shorts and burgundy church jumper.

"It's too scratchy." He complained as she put the last button through its hole.

"It'll be cool on the boat, sweetness. Please keep it on." Mum cooed as she tied his shoelaces.

Rose felt a tinge of sadness as she watched Helen chew on a wooden spoon. She wouldn't hear Mum call her and Michael love or sweetness, see Helen grow, or help her father out in the back. She pulled her sister in closer and rested her head on top of Helens. She would miss her most of all.

They took the train to London at half eight. Rose sat near the window and watched as the outside sped past her, only half listening to Michael drone on and on about going on the big ship.

"Will it be very large? What if its cold, I dont have my jacket! Mummy, will we be on the boat for long?" He questioned curiously, peering over Rose's head.

She became more annoyed with each question he asked. How could Michael be so excited to leave everything? Yes, he was only five and didnt understand why they were leaving, but didn't he realize that he would she Mum or their father for a long time?  He could be such a baby sometimes!

"Rose," Her mother interrupted her thoughts. "The train is slowing down. Its time to get ready to get off."

Rose sucked in her breath. She didnt want to go.