Going Away

The next day, once Rose had cooled down, her mother revealed that she and Michael were to leave early Sunday morning, which was only two days away.

"In two days? Why didn't you say anything earlier?" Rose exclaimed, dropping her book in surprise.

"We were only given the news yesterday morning. We told you as soon as we could, love." Mum whispered, gesturing for Rose to be quiet as both Helen and Michael were napping.

Before Rose could protest anymore, her mother interjected.

"Why don't you come and help me start packing your luggage? You can choose what you'd like to take with you."

A half hour later, Rose was sitting on her luggage as Mum struggled to buckle it shut. "I do wish I could have packed more jumpers for you. No matter though, we can send more clothing once you've arrived."

Rose sighed as she watched Mum walk toward the little shelf above the window. "Would you like to bring one of your dolls or teddies with you? They're small enough to sit in your coat pocket so you wouldn't have to squeeze it into your baggage."

She shook her head. Rose had never liked dolls; she'd always preferred the soldiers and planes that Michael had. She did have a favourite teddy called Puddy, who was no bigger than her hand and was a worn out mint cream colour. She made a mental note to tuck him away in her pocket before bed.

Nevertheless, Mum grabbed a doll with tangled blonde hair and sat down with it. Rose positioned herself on the edge of her bed, already knew what was coming before she said it.

"Now, Rose, I know youre angry with us, but I need you to listen very closely to me. You're going to have to stick with your brother no matter what, alright? He's just so vulnerable and sensitive and all of this is going to be scary for him. I know you're a strong girl and you'll be very brave, but Michael doesnt understand yet. Can you take special care of him for me, my love? Can you promise me that?" Mum was practically in tears by the time she'd finished.

Rose nodded as she felt tears of her own beginning to prickle in her eyes. As angry as she was, she hated seeing her parents upset. If Mum wanted her to be brave and care for Michael, thats what she'd try to do.

The next day, Rose's home was flooded with visitors who came to say goodbye to the children. Rose sat on a chair with Helen for most of the day, feeling especially upset that she'd have to leave her delightful younger sister.

Visitors left little gifts of camomile tea for seasickness, sweets for the journey, and attempted words of comfort. She was told to enjoy the trip, write down new things she would experience, and of course, take care of Michael. Mum made a potato and vegetable pie for dinner and her father had somehow managed to get his hands onto some orange juice. For dessert, Mum had promised a stick of licorice each to the children, but Rose could only take one bite before feeling completely defeated.

"Im going to bed." She mumbled before excusing herself from the table.

After pulling her worn jammies on, she flopped onto her bed and buried her head into her pillow. She breathed in deeply, taking in the homey smell of honey and potato peels. Rose stayed awake for a long time. She watched out of the corner of her eye at her father putting Michael to bed across the hall, Mum pacing back and forth with baby Helen to get her to sleep, and her father embracing her mother as she broke down into heavy sobs. She felt a few tears slide down her own cheeks before her eyes become heavy, falling asleep to the sound of her father cursing angrily about the war.