Chapter 5

A/N

Well my lovely readers... I've not been on here for a while and i made myself laugh. i had to reread the story so far to remember where i was going with it and at the end of chapter four i realized i left everyone sitting at the dinner table. AWKWARD! and i can speak from experience that when you are really into a story and a chapter ends at a cliff hanger, you think about it forever. So I'm formally apologizing for the long wait. (and also kind of internally laughing at all the pain im putting everyone through.) but seriously, I love you all :P

"Oh yes! That new play. Its an abomination!" Your father was saying vehemently to Mr. Kenway. Who appeared to you to be rather sorry for bringing to topic up for conversation. Your father continued, "What was it called again? Beggar Opera?" Not waiting for a reply, "That John Gay fellow made a mockery of the fine art of opera. Using common tunes in place of real music. And the content! Horrid! Simply horrid! Supposedly shedding light on all the "corruption" in our leadership. Bah! The fact that the London Royal Opera House even entertained the idea of allowing that unholy offspring of John Gay and Johann Pepusch into our grand hall is preposterous!"

Here your father paused as if allowing Mr. Kenway to speak also but as soon as he opened his mouth to interject your father took off again. "It is 'opera for the people'! That the low-class thieves and whores of this land would think themselves equal to us is outrageous!"

Mr. Kenway, being rudely cut off, discreetly snapped his mouth shut and sent a congenial smile in your father's direction, as a sign of friendly agreement. Though you could see that the smile was a bit strained. He clenched his jaw slightly in irritation and you had to hold back a smile at his expense. This was the first time through the whole dinner that you had been able to see through Mr. Kenway's charming mask. It wasn't very much, but to you it was encouraging to know that there was some sort of emotion within the man.

You were aware that your father was never going to stop talking long enough for Mr. Kenway to get a word in edgewise. Even so, you did wish to know his opinion on the matter. Your father had not allowed you to go, but you had talked with several ladies who worked at a local 'inn', who sang its praises very highly. You had also read many of the newspapers that were set straight against the message that the Beggar's Opera was setting forth.

All three of you had finished eating the dinner that had been prepared several minutes ago and your father stood, resting his hands on either side of his plate while rising. "Mr. Kenway, shall we retire to the drawing room for a light smoke? Come, it is right this way."

You stood from your seat, and sent an annoyed look that was thinly veiled at your father's retreating back. Mr. Kenway also stood from the table and turning his head away from you, watched your father leave the room. He looked back at you across the ornately carved table, and for a moment he smiled. It lasted less than a moment but you saw it.

The charm fell back into place and he quirked an eyebrow at you. "I applaud you for surviving to adulthood. He can be rather long winded."

You smiled. "It has been a trial." you mentally smacked yourself in the face. Why don't you just go and tell him your whole pathetic life story here and now you idiot! So to attempt a distraction you added, "There was a moment I thought maybe he was starting to get on your nerves."

Mr. Kenway smiled again, softer this time. "May I speak with you after I finish with your father?"

You nodded, your expression carefully schooled to one of indifference, and with a small incline of his head, he turned to follow briskly after your father.

You called quietly after him as he reached the doorway. "If you survive, that is." He shook his head without turning back to you.

You sat in the library for a short time contemplating the events of the night so far. You could only hope that Mr. Kenway had not noticed the meaning behind the words that had escaped your mouth without thought. WHY? Why could you not control your mouth?! You've had years of practice?! Why now suddenly does your mouth become its own entity?!

About an hour later you yawned into your hand. You realized that at this rate, if Mr. Kenway did not escape your father soon, he was going to find you asleep on the couch. That thought alone was enough to ensure you remained awake. Lucky for you though, a few minutes later, you heard Mr. Kenway politely excuse himself from your father's company. You rose and walked to the entrance of the library and made his way towards you.

You didn't wait for him to meet you at the door. You turned and walked back to your place on the couch. Taking great care to stifle any more yawns, and the urge to lay back on the soft cushion.

Mr. Kenway entered behind you and came around to sit in a wooden armchair across from you. "That could quite possibly be one of the most exhausting things I have ever done." He ran a hand over his face and cleared his throat twice. The most free you had seen him express himself again. Even trumping the moment over dinner.

You nodded, again, having nothing particularly pressing to say to the man, and opting instead for silent agreement.

He raised an eyebrow at you and scoffed. "You are that man's daughter, surely you have more to say to me than that?"

You smiled at your hands, folded in your lap, and replied honestly, "I have learned the immeasurable value of silence." You were referring to the fact that often when one is silent, other people tend to offer up more information. Mr. Kenway however, though realizing this, felt that it was a good time to make another joke at your father's expense.

"Oh, indeed. He didn't beat that bit of learning into you did he?" His smile died however when your jaw clenched and it was too late to hide it, because he had noticed.

A/N

Huge thank you to Hamiltonsoffun for the inspiration for another chapter!

and also...

AHAHAHAHAHA! I left you with another cliff hanger! I love being an author:) torturing both characters and readers at the same time! :P totally the best thing ever... Let me know what you guys think!!! any ideas on how this conversation should go? any guesses on what's gonna happen?

Luv y'all

BYE!