Chapter 7

A/N

hey lovelies! Another chapie for ya! Hope you like it and tell me what you think. It is more of a filler but whatevs:)

After You had walked Mr. Kenway to the door, you threw yourself into bed as quickly as you could and tried to get your brain to shut off. But you just couldn't stop thinking about how the insufferable man hadn't seemed to react to the fact that you called him out about his possible assassin ancestry. He had confirmed that you were correct, but he paid no special attention to your direct observation.

He didn't even ask why, or how you knew. He just lumped that bit of information into a pile with everything else you had said about him. You finally fell asleep after several hours of aggravated pondering.

It had been several days since the dinner with Mr. Kenway and you were preparing to join said man on an outing to the theater. You had dressed carefully, elegant, but not standoffish, not really knowing what kind of business Mr. Kenway was supposedly attending to at the play. You were ready to go when his carriage pulled up outside the house.

You pulled the door open and saw Mr. Kenway with a hand outstretched to rap on the door. He smiled, and lavishly repositioned his arm to lead you to the carriage. "Good day Miss. Langston."

You smiled politely. "Good day Mr. Kenway." You inwardly flinched when you accepted his offered arm, placing your hand in the crook of his elbow and allowed him to help you up into the carriage. Not that the man repulsed you, but it was the idea of him that you were so against.

He settled himself on the seat opposite you as you smoothed out your skirts in an effort to avoid looking at him for as long as possible.

"You are avoiding me?" It wasn't a question. You glanced briefly into his eyes and then moved your gaze to the carriage window, inspecting the view as you began rolling along.

You nodded, "Perhaps."

"But you do not hate me." another statement.

You hummed in response. You did not see it, but he inclined his head thoughtfully, as if trying to puzzle out a riddle. "Every time we've spoken so far you have made at least some effort to hide how anxious you were. But not now... Why?" He finished, and this time it was a question.

You continued looking out the window attempting to form some sort of response that didn't make you seem like a total dunce. "I guess I decided that it wasn't actually hiding anything from you and it would be much more efficient for me to save my energy, than to waste it on the vain pursuit of fooling you."

You glanced back at him again and he had an unreadable look in his eye. The carriage jolted over a bump in the road and swayed back and forth. He spoke again. "Very well, I suppose then I shall try to return the favor."

You looked back to him, confused. "What do you mean?" The sound of the wheels rattling over the cobblestones rang loudly through the streets that were filled with people, who were intermingled with dozens of other nearby carriages.

"If you are going to be honest with your emotions then I suppose I shall endeavor to be as well. Would you like to go first?"

You thought you saw where he was going with this and smirked a bit. "Not really, seeing as I already did..." you added deviously, "It's your move Mr. Kenway."

He sucked in a breath before speaking. "Alright then... I don't want to get married."

You nodded, "Okay, neither do I..." you responded making a gesture that you had just used your turn. "But here I am. We both know I have no choice, but the same doesn't apply to you. So if you don't want this, then why are you here?" You shot off at him.

Mr. Kenway's chin tilted up a bit at this, "Ah, yes, that... I'm not entirely at liberty to say..." he covered apologetically, and you sent him a small acquiescing smile.

"Might I ask if it has anything to do with the American colonies?"

He shrugged, and changed the subject, "I suppose it's my turn again?"

"I suppose." You answered.

The carriage drove past a flower shop and the sickeningly sweet smell wafted in through the windows, mingling with the musty and slightly dirty smell of the London city air. And then He brought up what you had said to him last night about the assassins brotherhood.

"Okay, how do you know about the assassins, and that I am like them?" Here his expression closed off again, and you had no way to know if it had been an intentional act or an unconscious one. His voice hardened only the slightest bit. Most people would not have noticed it. But you did. Somehow the insufferable man had this way of making you feel like he was always interrogating you.

You raised your eyebrows, a little incredulous, "Are we really going to talk about this now?"

He mimicked your expression. "It would appear so, yes."

You tried not to answer him. You looked out the window again for a few moments, the battle raged in your head. You wanted so badly to tell someone about your mother. You had never spoken about it to anyone. Ever. And honestly the opportunity to release the burden of your past was tempting you to no end. And really, he's the one who asked...

You must have taken a bit too long to answer and Mr. Kenway added, "It's your move, Miss Langston."

A/N so this was fun:) i love the way it ends thou! For one it's sort of a mini cliffhanger and I just love those, and also Haytham totally uses her line against her and I think it's hilarious! Anyways,

luv y'all

BYE!