Chapter 8

"It's your move, Miss Langston." Haytham said. Echoing your own words back to you. 

You've never told anyone. Ever. And you had sworn you never would. But Mr. Kenway had already proven he didn't think you were stupid. So you decide to tell him. Well, decided might be a bit of a strong word to use. You're mouth that had become more or less sentient, just sort of started moving of its own accord. 

 "You ask me how I know. It's because I also am, and can recognise hidden blades when I see them. " You paused, gauging his reaction. He looked thoughtful.

"That would explain how you know of my ancestry yes, but not how you know I am a true templar despite it.  And not to mention your own history.... you said it as if it was something heavy. Some big weight you bear."

You couldn't help but continue to look out the window. Normally you could overcome your discomfort, but not now. "I know you are a true templar because one does not get to the top without being willing to comitt acts that would otherwise be detrimental to your own sanity." you said.

"You speak from experience...." a statement, not a question. "You've done something questionable?" There it was.

You did finally look over at him. He had a raised eyebrow, and he seemed to be trying to read your soul. Or maybe that's just how it felt. Your words were hushed and flew out quickly in an effort to get it over with. "No, *i've* not done anything... to be honest I believe I have too much of a "good conscience", as it were, to make it very far as a templar." Then your voice changed and pure unadulterated hatred shone brightly through. "...My father is a greedy man though. My mother was an assassin. She loved him long ago. But then he changed. And she tried to get him to see reason... He didn't.... I was... very young when I saw him kill her." You glared at your hands after having rushed through your story. 

Haytham didn't say anything for a moment and you didn't look up, struggling not to show that you feared what he might think of you now. Actually he didn't say anything for a long while. And after what felt like an eternity of the carriage bouncing around you looked up and met his stare. It would seem he had been studying you. "So then he is cruel as well as annoying... How do you stand to remain with him?" The blunt honesty of the way he posed this question startled you a bit but served to put you somewhat at ease. 

"I plot to kill him... someday... though apparently it will have to be soon." There it was said. Out loud. For the first time ever. To a man. Almost your man. Though you did not wish it. 

What will he think of you now? He will surely think you too driven by emotions. Weak and too easily moved by every whim. But then he spoke again. "Good." You could not stop the look of bewilderment that exploded onto your face. He definitely noticed It and he shrugged in response. "It would seem he well deserves it. And as I have a similar goal towards revenge then it would be callous to deny you your own satisfaction."

You relaxed, your mind practically spinning with the hundreds of different plots you had formed over the years. But also the thoughts off how this man seemed content to let you do almost whatever you wanted. And what that might mean for your life. 

This really was the first time you had ever breathed a word of any of this to anyone. And to have your story heard and then even sided with was such a weight off of your shoulders. You had been carrying it for years and years alone. Eyes welling with unshed tears, you turned your face to the window and struggled to reign in your emotions. A couple tears slipped past your failing guard and he saw them. 

"I suppose it is freeing to have finally said it..."

"I suppose it is." You replied, accepting the handkerchief  he offers and dabbed the stray lines of water off your cheeks. "Though you must think me terribly frail to be so easily moved to tears like this." You scoffed at yourself. 

"No." He quickly said, then his tone turned solemn, "I do not think you so. You have dealt a long time on your own, with a hard man for a father. And an even harder secret to bear. Even the strongest of men might be moved to tears by a listening ear."

You handed him back his kerchief and thanked him politely, though it was sincere. He accepted it with a nod and the rest of the ride to the Beggar's Opera was spent in an easy silence. 

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Oh my goodness gracious people! It's literally been over a year since I've updated any stories😞 but in my defence I've been pretty busy. I got a job, a boyfriend, (who turned into my fiance), a house, and now my wedding day is 4 days away!😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀 it's been alot but because a couple people commented and the site kept sending me emails about people asking for more of this story I've decide to try to keep going even though it's been an outrageously long time. It still fills me with tons of happiness when people comment saying they love it!.❤❤❤ I love all my readers even if I'm not very good at updating❤❤❤🤗 hope you enjoyed this one!