Chapter Three

A tap on my shoulder roused me from my thoughts. Elaina had come back from the bathroom and was now giving me a look that said, "what the fuck?"

With all the strength I could muster, I moved away from my mate's arms and pulled Elaina along while running towards the car. I was surprised I didn't trip over... I wasn't the most graceful or coordinated person. 

It physically hurt when I removed his arms. I could still feel the warmth of his touch, burning me through my clothes. It was the start of Winter and yet, I felt feverish. I was sweating.

I started the car, immediately feeling and hearing the engine roar to life.

"Was that-?" Elaina began asking.

I replied instantly, cutting her off. "Yep. That was my mate." I began to speed down the road to Elaina's house.

She furrowed her brows in confusion. "So, why'd you run, then?"

I gulped, not knowing the answer myself. "B-because... I have to honour this agreement, so we can form an alliance."

I mean, it was partly true. I would have to honour the agreement in two months if I fail to find or if I reject my mate. However, if I accepted my mate then they would send no warriors. Besides, I really didn't want to disappoint my father.

After dropping Elaina off, I sped up the mountain and parked the car in our garage. I snuck into the living room, praying that father was asleep.

The Gods didn't answer my prayer.

There, on the couch, was my father impatiently waiting for me while slowly sipping his scotch.

My shoulders slumped.

"The Audi R8, huh?" he asked. "Where have you been all night? The Sköll's wanted to meet you and discuss the mating with you."

I gulped, choosing my words wisely. "Sorry, father. I was at Elaina's house." Well, it was partly true, I supposed.

He raised an eyebrow at me and gave me a look that said, "do you think I'm stupid?"

"So, let me get this straight. You decided to take my Audi R8 for a spin to go to Elaina's house dressed like that?" He took a sip of his scotch. "I wanted to talk to you about the alliance."

I frowned, remembering the man at the party. "What about it?"

He eyed me curiously. "You know that you are to mate with Alpha Roman's son in two months. So why did one of my sources send me this?" He showed me his phone. There was a photo of a man with his arms around me, but his head was buried into my hair, concealing his face.

I was conflicted about telling my father that I had found my mate. "Am I not free to dance with whomever I want?"

His eyes narrowed at me. "The Sköll's were angry and embarrassed about that happening so don't let it happen again. I'm very disappointed, Selena."

Those words hurt me deeply. "What if I don't want to marry him?"

"Alpha Roman is a very powerful man and he commands the largest army in the south. If he were to pass away, then his son Adrian would be Alpha, and you'd be his Luna. To not marry his son would dishonour our family." He finished off his glass of scotch. "Marrying into an Alpha family would mean you'd be taken care of."

Just like the weather in North Dakota, my father was cold and harsh.

Many people told me that my father was not always like this. When my mother, Celene, was still alive, he believed in love and happiness. He was caring and compassionate. But then my mother was callously murdered at the hands of vampires. His heart turned to ice and his mentality went towards power being everything, stating that finding your mate and falling in love was just a child's fairy-tale.

My father stood up and began walking away. "The Sköll's and Alpha Dominic will be here tomorrow. Do try to be nice."