Chapter One

I curl up again the comforting chest of Gale. The announcement for the twist in the next games is here. It could be anything. It could target my brother or me or Rory or Gale or Katniss. The seal showed up and Gales arms tightened around me. I squeeze my eyes closed as the president starts talking.

"Now we honour the third quarter quell. As a reminder to the rebels that even strongest scar the tributes will be pulled from the victors loved ones." President snow said. My eyes snapped open and I nearly stopped breathing. I was going into the hunger games. There was no way around it. There was no way I was letting anyone else go in my place. But Gale.... Gale could be with me. Or Rory. Or one of my brothers. Peeta... Peeta will have to watch me die. There's no way I can make it out. Not when someone I love has their life on the line. I turned to look at Gale. President snow had signed my death warrant.

"You can't volunteer Sam." Gale said quickly. "We've got our plan in place remember? Four more months and we get married. As soon as your 18. You and me against the world. Then we just have the next games and we can be together and maybe have kids soon." Gale said. A small plea entered his voice. I had never heard that before.

"What's my other option Gale? Let prim die? Or what about posey? Assuming they don't let the little ones escape. Or what about Hazelle? Or Mrs Everdeen?" I asked in a hushed voice.

"They're probably keeping the same age range." Gale said.

"So Rory and prim go in? We let little kids die?" I snapped.

"I can't lose you Samantha!" Gale yelled. Thankfully we were in my small run down and abandoned house that only had a tv because it was a requirement.

"I can't live with myself if I let prim die for me." I whispered.

"Then come back to me." Gale whispered. "We'll get married before the games and spend the remaining months being happy."

"Okay." I answered. He pulled me tightly into his arms and let me start crying. He rubbed my back. The door banged open and a crying Katniss ran over to us. I was smaller then her which allowed her to hug me tightly. Peeta followed looking disturbed.

"You can do this Sam. Your just as good at knives as I am with a bow and arrow and you can shoot almost as good as I can. Gale taught you about snares." Katniss said. "You can survive this. But don't go if you don't get called." She pleaded.

"How can I not?" I whispered. My mind went to prim who had just gotten reaped. Prim who was tiny. Prim who couldn't bare to kill an animal let alone a human. I could kill. It couldn't be that different at least not in execution. A throw of a knife or a pull of bow string.

"Let us train you at least." Peeta said. "In hand to hand combat." I slowly nodded. It had always been one my one flaw in surviving the hunger games if I had ever gotten reaped.

"Train Rory too." I said clearing my throat which was threatening to close on me. "He needs it. District twelve will have a winner again."

Peeta and katniss nod. They tightly hug me and kiss my cheek before pulling back and leaving for their houses. Peeta asked me to stay with him in victors village but I had refused. I had figured it would be me and Gale pretty soon. I hadn't counted on this. Who could have? Imagine the other districts how much of an uproar they must want to have.