Chapter Eight

I stood on my platform waiting for the games to begin. My ring was firmly on my finger and the past twelve hours had been filled with a lack of sleep and an even greater sense of dread. The count down began as I glanced around. A wood most likely filled with animals to hunt, a mountain range, and a large field filled with flowers. The cornucopia sat in the middle of the field. Almost everyone seemed taken aback by the beauty of the field which gave me an extra chance as the clock finished ticking and I took off running. I made it to the cornucopia right at the same time as the careers. Or well my allies. I snagged the two bow sets and a vest of throwing knives and swung the quivers of arrows over my shoulder as well as one of the bows. I knocked an arrow quickly and honed in on Rory and someone running for Rory. Rory was sprinting towards me. I aimed at the person running past Rory and released the arrow finding its home in the young mans skull. Rory caught up to me and I quickly handed him the extra bow and quiver. I saw someone coming up behind the boy from district two and threw a knife which wizzed past his head and lodged itself in the forehead of a girl. The battling didn't stop for the next hour or so and then I collected my arrows and knives as well as some extra ones from the cornucopia. I carefully put my vest on and grabbed a backpack and filled it with enough supplies to last me around a week on my own if necessary. Our small pack heads towards the woods to let them collect the bodies. The cannons start going off. I count them going up to eleven. Almost half gone in the bloodbath. I had killed at least three of them. Rory grabbed my hand and squeezed it to comfort me. I smiled at him and looked at the rest of the group. They all towered over me and would most likely beat me in a fight with little to no competition. Especially the boy from one. He was tall and definitely the leader.

"I'm Edward." The district one boy said. The rest of them went down the line. The district one girl was named Shimmer, the district two boy was named Peter, the district two girl was named Octavia, the district four boy was Andrew, and the district four girl was Emily.

"I'm Sam and this is Rory." I said. Rory nodded at everyone.

"What is Rory good at?" Edward asked.

"Rory is good at a lot of things." I snapped.

"Ooh I like my girls fiesty." Edward smirked at me.

"Do you also like them married?" I said snarkily. Edward looked me up and down.

"Only if they look like you." He answered.

"Watch it." Rory snapped. Edward smirked and took a step forward touching my cheek in a way I hated. Gale always touched right there slightly possessively but it also held a feeling of love in it. I pressed a knife into his stomach.

"Remove your hand, step away, and never touch me again." I said. Edward quickly stepped back and took his hand away from my cheek. I put my knife back into my vest and glanced into the woods feeling their pull. "I'm going for a hunt. We'll need fresh meat."

"Leave Rory and take one of us." Edward instructed. It must be obvious that I'm reluctant to leave Rory behind. I size up everyone in the group and decided on Emily. She hadn't been making much noise and she was the smallest and lightest of them.

"Emily let's go." I said starting for the woods. Emily followed and we pushed our way into the woods. I moved into my normal hunting mindset and relaxed. I almost felt like I was home. Gale almost seemed like he would step up beside me and tug on my braid before we started hunting. I spotted a few deer and let them pass before spotting a few rabbits and shooting them. I grabbed them and gutted them before bringing them back to camp where there was an actual camp now. I skinned them and then started a fire to cook them. I carefully cooked them over a spit. We split them up and ate the meat quickly.

"Time to go hunting for tributes." Peter crowed. We started out, walking quietly. A flare went up a few trees from me and there was another loud cannon. A scream sounded and a rushing of water. I watched in horror as water seemed to start rushing toward us. I pushed Rory to a tree and yelled for him to climb. I followed suit and scrambled up a tree pushing Rory up a few minutes. We settled high enough that the water couldn't touch us. The two people from district four would probably survive this but if they flood the whole arena they may kill everyone else.