Chapter Twelve

I packed up and climbed down my tree. I hurried to the cornucopia and took my place in the tree line. There were six of us left and they wanted a bloodbath. There hadn't been any deaths in a few days. I watched the table come up filled with food. I watched two figures start towards the table obviously too hungry for thought. I bit my lip watching as they made it to the table and managed to get a few mouthfuls in before one of them was killed. The cannon shot confirming it. The second one turned only to be greeted by a sword in the chest. I watched the bodies crumble and bit my lips harshly. A hand grabbed my shoulder and I glanced back to find Rory who ushered me away from the feast. We hurried away almost silently. I still had enough food to last us and the woods were still filled with animals. I also hadn't found a single poisonous plant. Once we were about as far as we could get from the cornucopia Rory hugged me tightly.

"How are you? Are you hurt?" Rory asked worriedly checking me over. He gently touched my stomach.

"I'm fine. I haven't seen anyone except at the feast since we got split up. How are you?" I asked.

"I'm fine. I just kept watching the sky for your face. Every night I was glad you were alive. I was just praying you weren't bleeding out somewhere." Rory said. "Gale would never forgive me if I let you die."

"I kept watching the sky for you too. And searching the woods. I didn't want to stray too far away from the woods since we both know how to survive thanks to Gale." I said softly. "Gale would forgive you. There's no way of policing who lives and who dies in these games." I rubbed his arm comfortingly. He nodded and glanced back towards the cornucopia.

"We should have a while before they start looking for us." He said. I nodded and he hugged me tightly. "I wish Gale were here." He mumbled.

"So do I. Not so he's fighting to the death but so I could see him." I mumbled back. I missed his arms around me. It'd been at least three weeks since I'd felt them. He would always kiss my head right when he wrapped his arms around me. Rory sighed.

"How's our food situation?" He asked pulling back.

"I've got jerky and crackers still. I've been mainly feeding myself with berries that I know are edible and rabbits." I said pulling off my backpack. He nodded.

"I've got crackers and some berries Katniss showed me." Rory said. "I finished a rabbit last night."

I nodded. "Okay." I said. "We should start walking. Before they find us." I cleared my throat and he nodded. We started walking, quickly moving through the woods. I started searching for a tree for us to rest in and found one. We climbed up to a fork in the middle of it and laid out our sleeping bags. I carefully belted us in and Rory snuggled up to me before he fell asleep. I smiled and closed my eyes; sleep soon claiming me. The next few days past by the same. Moving around the woods trying to avoid the other two tributes. The capitol must be calling for blood by now and they'll be pushing us together. I took the chance every night to refill our water bottles and to purify them. Illness wouldn't help us at all. We were hunting when another fire came up. This time instead of pushing us apart it pushed us to the cornucopia. We made it into the field to watch the woods burn. Our competition came out of the mountains where water stopped at the edge of the field. I watched them as they ran toward us.

"Sam. Rory." Emily said panting. She caught her breath and straightened.

"Emily. Andrew." Rory answered. Then all at once we were fighting. Rory got separated from me as Emily came at me and I was forced to roll out of the way. I kept rolling out of the way her sword flashed as it came at me. I didn't roll as her sword slides into my chest and then she pulls it out. I fall onto the ground and pant. My vision shakes and I drop my bow. The thought of fighting seems odd now. I see emily grab my bow and an arrow. She wraps something around it and wraps the rest around the cornucopia. My breath slows slightly. The last thing I see is Rory's face and then my world goes black.
-END OF BOOK ONE-