Chapter 4 - The Earth-Dog's Sacrifice

Arrow woke to voices echoing through the caverns.

"Come on, Lucky! That's it, you're almost there!"

It was Bella!

Arrow twitched his ears towards the voices. Surely I'm the only one who heard them? He slowly got to his paws, walking silently to the Prison Cave. He poked his head around the corner to see Sweet, Bella, and Storm hauling Lucky out of his stone prison. He gasped, watching Storm swerve her head in the exact place where Arrow's had been the moment before.

Storm's here! That means Blade's plan has worked! Arrow thought, feeling bad for the rebel Fierce Dog. She's too brave, and that was bound to get her killed someday.

A sharp bark sounded farther up in the cave system, and Lucky's rescuers jumped. Arrow scrambled away just as sleek shapes shot past him, straight for the Prison Cave. He bolted through the Sleeping Cave and ran out the exit on the other side to slam into Mace. They both flew back on impact, crashing into either side of the narrow tunnel. Arrow's head struck a rock, and he yelped.

"Idiot!" Mace snarled, climbing to his paws. "Why aren't you helping the others? Are you a coward?"

"No!" Arrow barked sharply, flexing his claws.

"Then go get that Street Mutt!" Mace howled.

Arrow charged through the cave system to find Lucky, Bella, Sweet and Storm cornered a few meters ahead of the entrance. Dagger and Mace guarded the exit, Fang between the two Betas. The pack was lining up in neat rows behind Blade, blocking the exit, and the light. Her evil teeth glinted in the darkness. 

"Nowhere to run," Blade growled, a smile on her face. "Nowhere to hide."

Lucky whimpered, but Sweet, Storm and Bella stood their ground. The Wild Dogs snarled, keeping Lucky in the middle of a protective circle. His frantic eyes landed on Fang, and he let out a small whine.

"Shut up!" Mace growled.

Blade eyed her beta, then her cold gaze rested on Fang. "Fang, would you come here please? I want you by my side when you watch your rebellious sister die."

Lucky's eyes widened, but he couldn't stop Fang now. The young Fierce Dog swaggered up to his Alpha. Blade stood still for a moment, but when she was sure Fang was within her reach, she took her chance.

Fang howled as Blade's fangs sliced into his neck. After a few moments of screaming, he laid twitching on the ground, blood pouring from the hole in his throat. Blade casually licked the blood off her paw, keeping one eye on the dying Fierce Dog. Finally, his breathing stilled.

Fang was dead.