Chapter Six

"So, let me get this straight," Evenie said as Adela made a right turn into a narrow street. "You found—no, you saw a ghost—"

"I wouldn't say he was a ghost, Evie," Adela said defensively.

"Just humour me for a second. You saw this ghost guy—"

"Mystery Man."

Evenie rolled her eyes. "Fine, Mystery Man at the café, reading the diary that you found on the website and then, out of nowhere, he disappears and leaves it behind?"

"Yep," Adela said, popping the p.

"And now it turns out it might not be your mother's, like you thought, but Mrs Finlay's?"

Adela nodded her agreement.

"None of this makes sense—like, at all. Except one thing."

"What's that?"

"Maybe you should also join Mrs Finlay at the institute."

"Ha-ha."

Still... knowing that she had imagined Mystery Man put Adela on edge. A small part of her was in denial, but that part was shrinking by the minute. And she was frightened by the thought that she had even seen him in the first place.

"What I don't understand is," Evenie continued on to say, "why was Alaric so certain that the diary could belong to someone you know?"

Adela shrugged her shoulders. "He didn't really say that it was a certainty, just that the chances were high based on the handwriting."

"Hmm, well, why don't we open the diary to find out?"

"It's locked, remember? Besides, we'll be at the institute soon. Maybe once we park up you can give it a try."

"Imagine if all that was inside were cupcake recipes!"

"Evie, don't be ridiculous!"

"Ease up, Dels. Just trying to lighten the mood. Jeez."

"I know, I'm sorry. I'm nervous about this visit for some reason."

"I am, too," Evenie said, looking back at the rear seats.

"What are you looking for?"

"Your bag—for the diary."

"It should be back there," Adela told her, using one hand to blindly search for her bag. "Aha, got it." She handed the bag over to Evenie. "Are you sure you want to open it right now?"

"Alright, fine, we'll open it when we get there."

Ignoring Evenie's annoyance, Adela said: "Have you thought of a good excuse as to why we need to see her, by the way?"

"We'll just say we're her relatives. I mean, they can't do anything, can they?"

"They could ask for identification?"

"We'll give it to them. That shouldn't be a problem. I doubt they check every visitor's identification cards."

"Hmm, yeah, I guess you're right." When they came to a stop at a red-light Adela asked: "Remind me again. Why was Mrs Finlay admitted into the institute? I never had the heart to ask Rose about it. We're not exactly close. Not on a personal level, anyway."

"I don't really know either, to be honest. The little I know is from Rose herself."

"Oh? I didn't know you were close with her."