Witness of a Crime

Written: End of July, 2018

It was Christmas when a small girl of about twelve walked through the front doors of her school, her French horn bumping against her right leg. She was early to the band Christmas concert, so there was no one there yet. She walked a little farther down the hall and sat against the wall, directly across from the band hall. Suddenly, something caught her eye. A trail of almonds ran from the doors of the band hall, which were decorated with paisley print, and disappeared around the corner. She didn't think anything of it at the time, since her band director was strange, decorating the band hall with a faded, inflatable lion and maple leaves one year.

She took out the book she had been reading and started reading silently, waiting for the band director to get there and unlock the band hall, when she heard a piping scream. Startled, she jumped up and ran towards where she heard the scream, not noticing that she was following the almond trail. She got to the corner and peeked around, knowing it wasn't smart to just burst through, but what she saw, she could never unsee.

Someone she didn't know had her best friend and fellow French horn player held up with her back against his front, knife on throat, saying something inaudible. She could hear her friend begging for her life until, suddenly, he ran the knife across her throat, dropping her to the floor, blood oozing everywhere.

Without thinking, she quickly snapped a picture of the killer with her cell phone and ran away; ran until she got to the nearest police department, hoping against hope that he didn't notice her ever being there in the first place.