Another Walk - Chapter 10

"Merida was taking us the right way... So let's continue on." Hiccup said as Merida dismounted Toothless.

"So let's continue on!" Rapunzel said excitedly, jumping up and stepping over to Jack, but she stepped back suddenly.

"Let's go." Jack said, pushing himself off the ground.

"See! My sense of direction in unknown places is great!" Merida said excitedly, now that she has recovered from the ride.

"Will we get to see the lights?" Rapunzel suddenly asked as they kept on moving forwards. It just occurred to her that they might not get to.

"Of course. I will make sure of it." Jack said, stepping over to Rapunzel and grabbing her hand, making them both smile. Hiccup also smiled as he watched them fix their relationship, and wondered if it was too late for him and Merida.

"Ah... Merida." Hiccup said, trying to force his hand away from his head, while avoiding Merida's glance as she replied.

"Yea?"

"Ah... Nothing." Hiccup said quickly, blushing as he glanced at Jack who nodded.

"Go for it" Jack mouthed to Hiccup and he nodded.

"Merida..." Hiccup said and closed his eyes as he tried to find anyway to make it sound, unakward.

"Hiccup. What is it?"

"I... Ah..." Hiccup stuttered, and Rapunzel stifled a laugh.

"He likes you Orangatan." Jack said, glaring at Hiccup who turned even brighter than his normal blushing.

"He... What?" Merida started blushing and turned to face Hiccup who shook his head.

"I..."

"Jack!" Rapunzel said, pulling him away while Merida and Hiccup just stared at each over.

"Merida..."

"Get away Hiccup. Get away!" Merida said, her bow already aimed at Hiccup.

"Merida..." Hiccup started again but stepped back quickly.

"Keep away Hiccup!"

"What is the matter..."

"You don't know about it do you... Of course not... You spend your days flying dragons!"

"Merida?"

"You want to know why I was running from my mother? Because I was being forced to marry a Viking, and what if you are that Viking?"

"Merida..."

"I haven't finished!"

"Merida! Let me speak!" Hiccup shouted over Merida, and her mouth opened up, surprised that Hiccup could be able to shout over her.

"Of course..."

"I am sorry. OK? I am sorry that I even though that a princess like you could even care for me. All you had to say was that you didn't have feelings for me. I can deal with it, it isn't the first time I've been rejected."

"Hiccup..." Merida whispered as Hiccup stormed off, looking for Rapunzel and Jack. Merida fell to the ground and started crying, which doesn't happen often.

"Merida..." Rapunzel whispered and Merida cleaned off her tears.

"Rapunzel... I screwed up... Didn't I..."

"It's OK. Everyone makes mistakes."

"Mistake? You think that was a mistake... I was so shocked that he loved me, and I loved him, and then it occurred to me that my mother wanted me to marry a Viking, and I didn't want to please her..." Merida whispered, close to bursting into tears again.

"It's OK. If you want to cry then you can." Rapunzel smiled at Merida who burst into tears, struggling to get the next words out.

"Does... Does your hair fix a broken heart?"

"What do you know about my hair?"

"I saw what your mother did... It helped you and made her young again..."

"I'm sorry Merida... but my hair can't fix a broken heart."

"It was worth a try... Should we find the boys?"

"Whenever your ready."

"Hiccup... I'm so sorry. It wasn't meant to happen like that, I never wanted to hurt you..." Jack called out to Hiccup as he stormed past.

"Well what do you think would of happened? She would say 'I love you' back?" Hiccup demanded, turning fiercely to face Jack, who flinched at the new side of Hiccup.

"Yes... That is what I thought she would say." Jack whispered, looking at the ground, and then back up at Hiccup who had a guilty look on his face.

"I'm sorry Jack..."

"For what?"

"For taking my anger out on you..."

"No. You have every right... It is my fault. I shouldn't of rushed you."

"Thank you for that, other wise I would of kept wondering if she loved me..."

"She does love you!" Jack exclaimed, and ran over to Hiccup who was sitting on the floor.

"Stop trying to make me feel better... You didn't hear what she told me."

"I kept watching her, wondering if I should help you two... She does love you."

"Jack! Stop joking. You haven't heard what I did."

"I... I'm really sorry Hiccup." Jack said sighing. He gave up trying to make Hiccup feel better when he heard the girls call out.

"Jack! Hiccup?" Rapunzel called out first, followed by a muffled call from Merida.

"Do you...?" Jack started but Hiccup had already stood up, and Toothless appeared in front of him quickly.

"We are over here!" He called back to the girls, and they were greeted with Toothless, hissing at them, not them but Merida.

"Hiccup..." Merida whispered, trying to step past Toothless but he just growled at her and stepped in front of her.

"Toothless. Follow." Hiccup commaned Toothless as they continued walking on.

"Hiccup..." Merida whispered and looked over at Rapunzel.

"Give it time. Hearts can be fixed with time."

"They can also break more with time..." Merida whispered, following Jack and Rapunzel as they ran to catch up to Hiccup.

"Hiccup. How long do you think this will take?" Jack called up to him and Hiccup shrugged back to him.

"How would I know?"

"Maybe we should scout around?" Merida called up and Hiccup sighed.

"Come on Rapunzel... You want a turn to fly Toothless?"

"Ah... What about Merida?" Rapunzel said, glancing at Merida who sighed.

"Merida has had a turn, come on."

"I guess..." Rapunzel sighed as she and Hiccup mount Toothless and fly up.