chapter seven

You have barely put your nickel in when you hear your name.
"(Y/N)," Donna calls from the other end of the hallway, a few yards away. "Your mother wants to talk to you."
"Oh. Okay. I'll be right there." You call back. You grab your water bottle quickly and rush to find your way back to the room. When you get there, your mother looks up and gives you a little smile.

"Mom, is everything okay?" You ask.
"Yes. I'm fine," She says. "It's time for you to be put in a Cryogenic state."
"What?" You're surprised. "I thought I would go in after the funeral or something. Why so quickly?"
"(Y/N), I don't you to watch me die," She says. Donna and Doctor Jones were in here, but you didn't notice until they walk out.
"Okay," You say. You don't want to watch her die either.

"What time am I supposed to go?" You ask.
"Whenever you're ready." She answers. "General Phillips is outside, waiting to escort you to the Chamber."
You're about to just walk out and go when you remember your mother. Your best friend. Your only parent for fourteen years. You run over to her and hug her.
"I don't want to leave you," You sob.
"Darling, it's okay. You have to," She says. "I need you to do this. I need to protect you."
"Okay," You whisper.
"I love you so much," She says, smiling.
"I love you too," You say, finding a smile.

You walk out and wipe your tears on your sleeve. General Phillips in standing by the door, waiting for you. You walk in silence because there's nothing to say. He leads you to the lobby and out the door to his car.
"Where are we going?" You ask.
"A secret SSR facility. That's where the Cryostasis Chamber is," He answers.
You drive for about two and a half hours until you stop in front of Brooklyn Antiques; the store is rundown and out of use. You walk inside, and he goes behind the counter and presses a button underneath it. He leads you to a small room with bookshelves covering one wall. The bookshelves open in the middle to reveal a secret hallway with double doors at the end. You walk through the doors to see a man-size capsule in the center of the room. Large computers and wires go all around the room.

Just then, someone walks in.
"(Y/N), right?" He says.
"Yes," You say.
"Howard Stark. I founded S.H.I.E.L.D. along with General Phillips and your mother," He says.
"Oh," You say.
"I have something for you," Mr. Stark says, walking over to a table next to one of the computers. He pulls out a circular piece of metal from a shelf under the desk. It looks almost exactly like the shield that Captain America was known to carry around. "I made it so it was similar, but not exactly like your father's. It's made of the same metal, vibranium." He gives it to you, and you put your arm through the loops on the back.
"I like it. Thanks!" You say, smiling.
"You ready?" He asks.
"Sure." You say. You climb into the Cryostasis Chamber and get as comfortable as possible. He rests your shield against the Chamber. A nurse straps you in with a strap that looks like a seatbelt and injects you in the arm. The door closes, and it gets cold. The glass window in the door starts getting fogged from the cold. Your lips go numb. You start feeling claustrophobic and nervous before black spots form around the corners of your eyes and spread until everything is black; voices are muffled and then silent.

>>>

The picture at the top is the shield that was given to you by Howard Stark.
Shield design and art is credited to maybemaximoff