chapter twenty-one

You have been transferred to Germany and are now in the backseat of a cage in a vehicle with your dad, Captain America; man/bird, whose goes by Falcon or Sam, and the Cat Guy, who you discovered is a king and is actually named "Black Panther." You still prefer Cat Guy. It doesn't sound as cool, and he doesn't deserve a cool name. He tried to kill Bucky, who is currently in a specially made container in the back of another, more secure vehicle.

You're sitting next to Sam who, you realized, is pretty much the only one who would make jokes during a situation like this.
"So you like cats?" Sam remarks to the Black Panther, whose expression has remained the same during this whole awkward car ride. You smile in your moment of victory over the fact that you're not the only one who would gladly punch this "King" on his big nose.
"Sam," Captain America warns, glancing back for a second. His eyes catch your's for a second before he looks away, seemingly startled by a sense of recognition of Peggy in you.
"What?" Sam continues, "This dude shows up dressed like a cat, and you don't want to know more?" Apparently, he does want to know more, because he asks him about his suit.
"Your suit...it's Vibranium?"
"The Black Panther has been the protector of Wakanda for generations," the King speaks for the first time with an accent that is, surprisingly, kind of cool. You attempt to zone out his voice, but the end of his sentence is clearer than the rest, "How long do you think you can keep your friend safe from me?"
"As long as I'm around," you mumble a reply that you hope he hears.

When you arrive at your destination which appears to be a fancy military base. You glance around, but your eyes rest on Bucky in his secure pod.
"Bucky!" You say, walking towards him. He looks up, but you can't get to him. You feel an arm wrap around your waist and see a man points his gun at you and yelling, "Stai in spate!" You feel Steve Rogers releasing your waist as he speaks, "Don't."

Steve begins talking to a man and woman. Their conversation doesn't interest you. You're watching Bucky who is being moved to another room. Sam touches your arm, letting you know that you're about to move.

A woman with bright red hair walks up beside Steve and matches his pace. They begin talking, and you immediately like her for some reason. You are led into a room with screens covering a whole wall and a long table with chairs in a glass room in the center of this room. A man who seems stressed is holding a phone and talking about "consequences." The man hangs up the phone and is joined by the woman with red hair, who leads the four of you to the long table in the center of the room. They're all talking like they're old friends while you sit quietly near the end of the table, watching a screen that is showing Bucky.

After a heated conversation between Steve and the other guy, Tony Stark, everyone has left the glass room except for you and Steve. Tony Stark has to be related to Howard Stark; they look exactly alike.
"(Y/N), how did you get to Bucky?" Steve inquires, sitting across from you.
"He got me out of cryofreeze about a year ago," You don't attempt to make conversation. After all, Steve left you and your mom. When you can't look at Steve any longer, you glance around the room. Your eyes stop on a screen in the corner showing a surveillance video. "Bucky," You mumble.