CHAPTER 3 'SHE NEEDS YOU'

CHAPTER 3 *unedited.

'She needs you’

I had set the deadline. They had three weeks. 21 days. 

“Aliyah get yourself and Zaisha dressed.” Laila hushed me towards the bed as she thumped a embroided baby pink body length dress in my hand. My eyes glared down at the heavily embroided dress. Since Malika’s passing, no one had dressed up or opted for bright colors out of respect and grief. It was to soon to be dressing up.

I shook my head harshly in disagreement as I threw the dress on the bed.

“Uncle Shah has informed us of a marriage proposal and he wants you to bring along Zaisha with him so the girl can take a look.” Laila explained as she once again wrestled the dress in my hand.

“It’s to early to be wearing these bold clothes Laila,” I sighed.

“You need to make a good first impression.” Laila whispered as she wrapped her short arms around me in reassurance, “remember this is for Zayn and Zaisha.”

“Does Zayn know?” 

“Uncle Shah has forbidden anyone to mention the wedding plans.” 

I understood why. Zayn was nowhere near stable and he would blow at the mention of marriage. The time I had spent here really opened up my eyes to what true love really meant. Zayn was so deeply in love it hurt. It hurt to watch him burn away.

I picked up the dress and stared at it for a few minutes as I heard the door lightly click close behind me. I dressed up and glanced at myself in the mirror. I was so different from my sister, Malika. My sister shared my mom’s jet black pin straight hair and hazel almost green eyes. Whereas I was a spitting image of my father, I was fairly tall and had dark brown naturally wavey hair and plain brown eyes.

I heard a slight whimper and walked towards Zaisha. She was growing so quick. She gurgled as she saw me. I picked up her small body in my arm and cooed at her. I had dressed her in a creamy white jumpsuit and placed a small bow headband on her baldhead. She looked adorable.

She nestled into my arms as I took the bag containing her change and feeding items and slowly walked down the stairs where Uncle Shah sat on the dining chair.

I was always curious as to why uncle Shah chose to sit on a chair. He never sat on a sofa, it seemed as if he disliked the idea of comfort.

He rose from his chair with the same grim expression plastered on his face but his eyes shone as he looked down at Zaisha. He silently took the bag from my hands and motioned me towards the door.

I waved at my mom and dad in goodbye who were silently sat in the kitchen. They looked tired and much older. It was as if the death of Malika had forced them to grow another 5 years.

I sat in the back of the car as I buckled Zaisha into the car seat. Malika had brought everything in advance for the baby. Tears shone in my eyes as I sniffled wiping away her memories. She was so excited, so happy. 

“The girl is my old friend’s daughter.” Uncle Shah said coldly as he drove softly avoiding in harsh bends or speed bumps. 

I just nodded as I played with Zaisha’s chubby fingers often hearing her giggle. 

“She 24 so she’s only two years younger than Zayn, and she’s done a degree in economics. She’s very cultural and beautiful.” He praised as I filtered out his voice and focused on Zaisha’s wiggling form. She was getting restless from being cooped up in the car seat.