Not the First Attack

Jackson and Merida hopped off of Toothless after they landed on a bridge leading into Corona's village. They looked around to see the bridge covered in black dust and a trail that lead through the town. "Ya think this was caused by those flying horses?", Merida asked as she knelled on the ground and played with the dust.

   Hiccup climbed off of Toothless and quickly grabbed three bags from his carry on, then handed one to Jackson. "Them and many more of Pitch's minion creations.", Hiccup answered in a serious tone as he handed a bag to Merida. He started to speed walk to the village with Jackson and Merida following behind him.

   Jackson ran up next to Hiccup and laughed, "Pitch? As in the Boogeyman?", he asked, "He's just a myth to scare little kids. You can't actually believe it was him!".

   Merida shrugged and gave Hiccup a nod, "As much as I hate to say this, I have to agree with him. How do you know that some stupid story villain created this...mess?", she asked.

   Hiccup rolled his eyes, "It's not his first time, believe me!", he said angrily. Hiccup took a deep breath and sighed, "Just focus on hurrying to the castle.", he said as he started to walk faster.

-12 years ago-

   Chief Stoick left for Corona to discuss an agreement for them to fight alongside Berk and provide resources if needed. He brought along his wife, Valka, and his son, Hiccup. Once they arrived, the family was kindly greeted by Corona's royal family. "Hello there! You must be Berk's chief!", King Frederic yelled energetically as he walked out of the castle and up to Stoick, his wife, the queen, not too far behind him.

   "Aye, Stoick the Vast.", Stoick said as he shook the King's hand. He turned to gesture at his family, "This is my wife, Valka and our boy, Hiccup.", he said.

   "Hello there.", the Queen said sweetly as she waved to the family. "I'm Queen Arianna and this is our daughter-", the queen paused as she turned behind her, surprised that her daughter wasn't standing behind her. "Rapunzel?!", she called out with her hands on her hips as she waited. All of a sudden, a small girl with long blonde hair down to her feet and green eyes came rushing out the door with a book in her arms.

   "I'm here Mama!", Rapunzel said as she ran up to the adults, panting. She looked up to see Hiccup, "Hi I'm Rapunzel!", she shouted cheerfully, "Wanna take a tour of the castle?".

   Hiccup looked up at his mother. She gestured for him to go, then he walked closer to Rapunzel, "Sure!", he said with excitement.

   "Yay!", Rapunzel threw the book in Hiccup's hand, "Everything you need to know is in there while we take our tour! Come on!", she grabbed his hand and dragged him inside. The adults laughed and walked inside. An hour later, Rapunzel guides Hiccup into the castle's garden area. Its gateway was covered in jasmines and daises. The slate walkway was outlined with all kinds of flowers throughout the garden. "And here's our final stop. You like it?", she asked eagerly.

   Hiccup nodded as he looked around the garden, amazed, "It looks awesome!", he said as he set the scrapbook down next to him to poke at the flowers. "My mother made a garden for our village once, but the dragons destroyed it during their visit last week".

   Rapunzel canted her head as she leaned over Hiccup, "You live with dragons?", she asked, "That sounds so cool!"

   Hiccup chuckled as he scooted out of Rapunzel's way and stood up, "No, no, no. They just like to invade us at least once a week. And they aren't as cool as they sound.", he said as he began to walk around.

   "Oh, well we have horses! I love horse riding!", Rapunzel said to change the subject. She paused for a moment, watching Hiccup examine the flowers, then glancing over at her scrapbook. "I got an idea!", Rapunzel cheered as she picked up the scrapbook and headed for the exit, "I'll be right back!".

   "But I don't wanna-...And she's gone.", Hiccup said to himself as he walked away from the flowers, "Great". As he waited for Rapunzel to return, Hiccup wandered around the garden, walking aimless through a small maze. The sound of a twig snap startled him. Hiccup jumped and bumped into a dark horse. The horse seemed scary yet kind at the same time.

   "Hiccup! Where are you?!", Rapunzel's voice called out, scaring the horse away. Hiccup made his way out of the maze to see Rapunzel waiting with her hands behind her back. "What were you doing in the maze?", she asked with a small giggle.

   "Well I got bored, so I walked in and I saw a-", Hiccup said before Rapunzel interrupted him and threw a bracelet made of twine in his hands. "What's this for?", he asked as he poked at the small sunflower that was attached.

   "That's a friendship bracelet", Rapunzel said as she ran up to Hiccup and helped him slip it onto his wrist. "I have one too!", Rapunzel said joyfully as she showed the matching bracelet wrapped around her right wrist, but her twine was purple. "This proves that your my BFF! Best friend forever!", he cheered, "I've never had a boy friend before!".

   Hiccup chuckled, "Thanks Rapunzel. W-wait b-boyfriend?", his expression quickly changed from happy to confused.

   Rapunzel nodded in response, "Uh huh.". Out of no where, the clouds blocked out the sun and the skies got darker. "We should probably go inside.", Rapunzel said as she grabbed Hiccup's hand and headed for the garden's exit. At the gate waited a giant horse made of pitch black dust. Rapunzel squealed in fear and hid behind Hiccup, "Mama! Papa!", she screamed.

   Hiccup waved his hand back at Rapunzel, "It's okay. This is the horse I saw in the maze.", he said as he held his hand out and walked toward the horse, "He won't hurt you.". The horse shook his head around and grew ten times the children's height. Hiccup was struck with fear then pushed Rapunzel back, "We gotta find another way out!", he yelled as the two started to run.

   Rapunzel looked back at Hiccup as she ran past him, "I think we might have to climb a wall if we wanna get out of here, Hiccup!", she yelled to him. She turned her focus in front of her then came to a quick halt when she saw a tall dark man standing in her path. "Boogeyman?", Rapunzel asked shakily. The man grinned then pointed to her and Hiccup. Two giant crows made of he dark dust swooped down from the sky. One picked up Rapunzel by her collar and the other got Hiccup. Rapunzel screamed as the crow threw her into the air and onto its back, "Mama! Papa!", she cried.

   Hiccup squirmed around in the grasp of the crow's talons, "Let us go, stupid birds!", he yelled as he punched the crows talon, making its talon disperse along with the rest of its body. The crow was slowly falling toward the ground before it faded away, letting Hiccup fall the rest of the way alone. The fall wasn't too far, but it was far enough to knock the boy out unconscious. When he came to, Hiccup was lying safely in an infirmary and wondering the worst of Rapunzel's state.