Song 5 ♪ Time Of Your Life (Not)

My ma wasn't entirely pleased with how everything had developed, my best friend was mad at me and this probably made me a terrible person, but I was completely over the moon. I made something happen for me. Something good. Everyone who had asked me why even try, that I most likely wouldn't get in, could suck it.

I actually felt like singing Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield. That was how cheesy happy I felt.

Ma came back with my suitcase and new uniforms and found me in the middle of a deep get-to-know-each-other session with my new roommate — and oh my God, I now had a roommate, how adult did that sound?

"I can see that you're busy." Undeterred by my desire to ignore her, she went on, "But we need to talk before I leave."

Addy shot up to her feet. "Oh, that's okay. I can leave."

"No, I'll walk ma out." We left the room and she grabbed my arms in a vice once we were outside, getting all up in my grill. "Whoa, you're scaring me."

"Listen to me chiquita." Her eyes narrowed. Was she mad? "This whole thing is crazy and I probably shouldn't even be allowing it. The only reason I am is because you're going to be under the care of good, religious people. So you better behave and not do something crazy like, like-"

I supplied helpfully. "Get pregnant?"

Her fingers tightened on my flesh and I was sure I was going to bruise.

"That or something else that would make this people think that we're low class."

"Right."

And by that I meant, thanks for the encouragement, ma. I know you're proud of me for getting here. I'll work hard.

"And if this doesn't go well," she said as a final warning. "I'm pulling you out of this place. Entendiste?"

I nodded. "Crystal clear."

Except that wasn't going to happen, because I was going to ace every freaking test even if it meant not sleeping or eating until I caught up to the level of this school. I was not going to waste this miracle.

That thought helped me wave her away with a smile. Once she made her way down the stairs I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. It wasn't her I had to impress anymore. When it came down to it, now it was only myself I had to surpass.

I twirled around and went back into room 43. I found Addy holding up my brand new skirt. It was made in that fancy navy and burgundy plaid that was probably worth every piece of clothes I had back home. There was a spare, a few short sleeved white shirts and a couple long sleeved ones, a tie, two blazers and a big box. Once I opened it I found one pair of sleek brown shoes and many pairs of socks. And my first thought was that I hoped the shoes were wide.

"I think they gave you a size too big," she said, inspecting my skirt.

"Why? What makes you think that?"

She lifted her eyebrows. "I have an eye. Try it on."

She didn't have to ask twice. I wanted to see how I looked like in a private school uniform anyway. I grabbed it and one of the shirts and took a look around. Two beds with drawers under them. A large desk that I supposed we had to share, backed against a window. A lot of shelving. One single door.

"Where's the bathroom?" I asked, hoping that there was an attic door that led to it or something.

"It's a shared bathroom for the entire floor."

I died.

Okay, I didn't. But it sure felt like the life was leaving my corporeal shell.

"No." I exhaled the word like it was my last breath.