Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Zoe's POV

I didn't expect it. It hit full force around the world. The virus. I was scared. Well, who wasn't? All around me there was people catching the virus. The coughs, smell of vomit, and the moans of the people filled the air.

I was waiting. I was waiting for the infection to get me too. But I was lucky, I didn't get it. I saw my mom and little brother draw their last breath and blink the last time.

I cried and cried, falling into a stupor. I didn't notice that everyone was dying around me. Not until the day when everything was quiet and the message came through the radio.

"All of the survivors head to Nashville Tennessee. Safe housing and regroup. Bring supplies. Water, food, clothes, and weapons."

Then the static returned to the radio, leaving me in silence. I thought it was a trick, but decided against that thought. I quickly ran through the house getting supplies from random corners of the house.

I grabbed blankets, canned food, water bottles, a water purifying system, medicine out of the medicine cabinets, my moms gun and her amo, and some knives out of the kitchen. I got a backpack and two overnight bags.

I passed some of our family pictures. I picked up my favorite and pulled the picture out, folded it, and put it in my pants pocket. Going out to the garage, I picked up the siphoning pipe and the gas cans.

I walked around the neighborhood, opening garages, taking the gas from the cars, and looking for anything that could help me on my journey. With the gas container full I lugged it back to the jeep I was taking. I filled it up and put the tank in the back of the car.

I packed up the supplies that I piled into the living room, into the bags. A switchblade that I found made a new home in my front pocket. The clothes that I was bringing and the medicine went into the backpack. The other stuff went into the overnight bags. I looked around the house once more checking for the things I might have overlooked. I grabbed my coat, my jacket, a lighter, and made my way downstairs. I pulled the jacket on, then picked up the bags, and head for the door. On my way out I picked the keys up off of the table.

I said the last word I would ever say in this house.

"Bye."

And slammed the door.

--------------------------

AUTHORS NOTE

I know it's short. So what do you think so far? Leave a comment and a like! Thanks for reading! This book is being co-written with KelseyBrynnLane. Go check out her profile. She if an awesome writer! Comment and vote!