Chapter ☕️☕️☕️☕️

Here I am, 6:30 in the morning, struggling to to pull on my pants and brush my teeth at the same time.
Makeup done, actually a little bit more than I planned, only because I forgot I look like a raccoon in the mornings.
Every morning.
I finish brushing my teeth & getting my pants on, & rush out the door.

I burst- ...gently open the doors of the coffee shop, 7:00 o'clock sharp.

The usual smell of freshly brewed coffee abruptly hits my face.
I look around, easily spotting Jim, as he sits with two steamy cups of coffee sit beside him.

He looks up from his phone, & he smiles. Immediately, he waves me over.

I gently sit across from him.

"Good morning, (y/n)!" Jim takes one of the steaming cups of coffee and quietly places it in front of me.
"Good morning, Jim! Nice seeing you again!What's this for?" I softly start blowing on the coffee.
"I know you just like plain black coffee, & I came here a little early, so I got you one. It's on me."

Woah. I'm secretly resisting the temptation to put all of the powdered sugar packets that are on the table into my cup for myself. Along with creamer.

I just don't like plain black coffee.

"Aww, thanks Jim, you didn't have to!" Jim shrugs.
"Hey, you have a job to start today. The least I could do is buy you a cup of coffee. It's my welcome gift."

So gentlemanly.
Damn.
Wait WHAT?

My eyebrows raise. "Wait? I have the job already?"
Jim nods.
"Well, here's a little secret. I was put in charge to find a new receptionist. I practically gave you an interview yesterday. But I have to pretend I'm giving you one today, so that everyone thinks I'm not just choosing random people. I really do think you're qualified."

WHAT?

"Ohhh, I see. Sounds like a plan! And also thank you for the coffee & the new job," I smile at him. "I'm literally forever in debt to you now!"

Jim chuckles, & shakes his head.
"Hey, my pleasure. You filling in as a new receptionist is fulfilling the debt. We really needed one," He whispers & smiles. "I think my boss is going crazy without one."

I laugh. "Glad to fill in!"

We slowly drink our coffee, chatting about the receptionist job.

For like a half and hour.

I really do think we learned a lot about each other in just these 2 days.
He has a big sense of humor, & he's very quirky.
Our personalities kinda blend.
It's nice!
It feels like we're best friends.
...Even though I've known him for only two days?

Jim looks down at his watch as I'm finishing off the last drops of my somewhat now cold coffee.
"Oh, we should get going. Almost 9 o'clock! You can follow me today to the building. But, come in like, 5 minutes after do so it doesn't look like you were with me."

I chuckle.
"Got it. I feel like this is some kind of top secret mission or something."

"Oh it is, it's the most top secret mission ever," He says sarcastically. "We're practically the FBI."

I laugh.
"Get ready to knock down some doors."

Jim shakes his head, laughing.
"You crack me up, (Y/n)."

I smile kindly over to him, shaking my head.

The waitress soon comes around, & Jim kindly pays for our coffees, & we head out.

As I step in my car, the heat from the July sun scorches my skin like I'm sitting in the dead center of hell.
It was so cool in the coffee shop.

I watch as Jim pulls out of the parking lot, & I follow along as my legs are being set on fire, &, my face is turning into an ice cube from the AC.

It took like 5 minutes to get there.
Not too bad.

I park next to Jim, as he steps out holding his bag.
Through his driver & passenger windows, he mouths,
"5 minutes!"

I smile & give him a thumbs up in return.
He mirrors me back.

I turn up the AC as high as possible, & wait my 5 minutes.

It feels like 10.
I'm so damn impatient.

I check myself in the mirror one last time, look at the time to make sure my 5 minutes is up, & step out into the scorching oven of the outside.

Why am I so scared right now?
My heart is racing.

I already have the job, so what is there to be scared about?