PROLOGUE

"We are gathered here to say farewell to Diana Moore and to commit her into the hands of God, our lord and saviour..."

She was sitting in the front row, surrounded by distant relatives who she hadn't seen in years. Her expression was one of grief, and her grey eyes were rimmed with red. Diana Moore wouldn't have wanted that. She wasn't even a catholic, for Merlin's sake. But there they were, a small cluster of people that roughly knew each other, crying for a young woman who had meet her end much earlier than she should.

Cassie hadn't had time to think about it that much. Her mother's death had been unexpected, as she was killed by a muggle driver who went too fast. By the time she arrived at St Mungo's, there was nothing the Healers could do for her, and Diana Moore was declared dead in a matter of hours. Cassiopeia Moore was now practically orphan, with her father disappeared and supposedly dead, so she had to be taken care of until seventeen, the wizarding coming of age; a responsibility that ended upon her uncle David, who was a muggle man in his mid-forties that didn't really pay attention to her.

So, there she was, watching her mother disappear into a square hole in the wall of a graveyard, along with many others surrounding her, forever left to rot there, with the occasional flowers brought by their living relatives. And that was all. The few people that attended the funeral said goodbye to Cassie, hugging her and giving their condolences, and soon it was only her and uncle David, who looked somewhat uncomfortable.

"We should get going."

The fifteen-year-old ignored him, and instead took out her wand and approached the recent niche. David looked alarmed but didn't say anything and watched as his niece carved carefully a single crescent moon in one side of the headstone, small enough to not be noticed at first sight.

She would never see her mum again. She would never again smell that apple pie that only her mother could cook, nor receive any more lessons on magic from her. The warm, characteristic smile of Diana Moore, the liveliest woman she had ever encountered, invaded her mind, and Cassie broke down into sobs.

"I love you, mum." She said in a whisper. "I will never forget you."

And after that final goodbye, the shaking girl followed her uncle out of the graveyard, slowly assimilating that she was now alone, utterly and completely alone.

A/N: The gif at the top is kinda how I imagine her.