EIGHT

Cassie was running through the halls, making people jump away from her. With one hand, she steadied the bag hanging from her shoulder; with the other she pushed the mop of red hair frantically away from her face. She had never been late for class in her life, mostly because she had always been home-schooled, and the adrenaline and nervousness that coursed through her veins was new to the girl.

She opened the door timidly, wishing she was invisible at that very moment. Or a ghost, so she could pass through the wall and such.

"Miss Moore, care to explain why the lateness?"

The stern voice of Professor McGonagall startled Cassie. She surveyed the room quickly, the fear of having entered the wrong class settling in her stomach.

"I-isn't this Defence..." She started to stutter, but McGonagall cut her off impatiently.

"Professor Lupin is not feeling well at the moment, so I'm taking over his class. Sit down, Miss Moore, and ten points from Gryffindor."

Feeling her face redden, Cassie scurried quickly to the first free seat she saw, which happened to be right next to the blonde girl she had met on the Hogwarts Express. 'Emily Crowe' was scribbled on the top of her green notebook. She knew the Crowes, or at least had heard stories about them. Very much like the Malfoys or the Notts, the Crowes were one of the Sacred Families; pureblood families that had never mixed with muggles or half-bloods in centuries.

Cassie had always been wary of everything related to blood status; her mother had been muggleborn and told her stories about bullies at Hogwarts. Surprisingly, not all of them were Slytherins.

"Cassie, right?" The Slytherin next to her whispered suddenly, half-startling the girl. She nodded. "Could we have a word after class?"

The red-headed girl nodded again, slowly. She was surprised by the blonde's petition but agreed nonetheless. After all, she didn't know many people, and it may benefit her having acquaintances from other houses, breaking the long tradition of hatred between Gryffindor and Slytherin. Even if she could hardly stand the train girl.

After a particularly hard class of Defence Against the Dark Arts, where McGonagall had given them tons of homework that surely no one would do, Cassie waited for the students to go before turning to Crowe, who was slowly clearing her things up. Two more Slytherin girls awaited at the door for her, but the Gryffindor didn't see them.

"Well, Moore, now that we are alone." The blonde started calmly, sitting on the table. "I've got a proposition for you."

"Do say."

"We." She signalled to her Slytherin friends. "Would like you to be our... colleague."

Cassie looked at the three of them, shocked. She discreetly pinched herself, given the surrealism of the situation. But it was real, and they were awaiting some response.

"Why?" She choked out, a part of her brain blasting an alarm.

"Well, because we find you and your lineage... interesting." Crowe responded, smirking. Cassie arched one eyebrow, suspicious. As far as she knew, she was the daughter of a muggleborn. But they could be referring to her father...

"What do you know about that?" She asked abruptly, meeting the other girl's brown eyes.

Crowe smirked broadly.

"Only theories... very plausible theories, at that."

Cassie went to ask more questions, but she was interrupted.

"However, there's something we need you to do."

Silence ensued, so the blonde continued.

"You have to stop talking to those blood-traitors you're friends with."

***

"And of course, I told her to bugger off."

Both Alicia and Angelina smiled, the latter clapping her in the back. Cassie felt her cheeks grow hot and looked down at the snow below her feet.

It was the weekend before holidays, only a week since Emily Crowe had tried to draw Cassie into her blood obsession, and she was telling her two friends while they went to Hogsmeade. Fred and George had stayed at the castle, claiming they had something important to do, and they would meet them for lunch.

"You did the right thing, Cass." Alicia said, fidgeting with her scarlet-coloured gloves. "You can never trust those sneaky bastards."

Angelina agreed enthusiastically, kicking a chunk of snow with her foot.

"Just forget about the whole thing." She advised, locking arms with the two girls. "If they bother you again, tell us and we'll make sure it's the last time they do it."

Cassie laughed.

"You're right girls. They're not worth my time."

"Now let's go have a bloody good time at Hogsmeade!" Alicia yelled, the three of them whooping.

The little village looked like a Christmas postcard. The roofs were covered in snow, which filled the streets as well, and some kids here and there sang carols for money. Hogwarts students were everywhere, clad in their thick robes and cloaks and going from shop to shop, a look of wonder in their eyes as they surveyed the bright window displays. Cassie had been in Hogsmeade before, with her mother, but it never ceased to amaze her.

The three Gryffindor girls went to Honeydukes first, the smell of candy and chocolate luring them into the warm store. After buying almost their weight in sweets, the next stop was Scrivenshaft's Quill Shop; and then some sports shop Cassie refused to enter. She liked watching quidditch all right, but playing any kind of sport was too much for her, mainly because she had the coordination of a baby duck.

"I could do with a butterbeer." Angelina said at some point, getting the other two to agree with her.

It was almost lunchtime, so they went to The Three Broomsticks, where the Weasley twins and Lee Jordan were waiting for them.

"Finally!"

"We thought you'd never come!"

The girls chuckled and sat down in the booth, ordering their food as soon as Rosmerta appeared notepad in hand. As they waited, Lee asked them about their plans for the holidays, Cassie sinking in her seat at the mention of holidays.

Both Angelina and Alice were going on trips with their parents, and the twins were going home with their family. Lee was also returning home. Cassie kept silent during the conversation, not really having thought about what she would do. Since the start of the term, she had had zero communication with her uncle, so she was likely to spend Christmas at Hogwarts, alone. It was kind of sad, but she was getting used to the loneliness.

Across from the table, Fred and George exchanged glances, not having missed the obvious discomfort of their friend.