July 15, 2017

July 15, 2017

"Everett, let's go," Phil said to his son as he helped him set up his sailboat. He tried his best to be a patient father, but every once in a while, his children tested that patience, and this was undoubtedly one of those times. Everett had just turned thirteen, and in an attempt to assert his independence, his passion for sailing had nearly disappeared. Phil was certain that this was nothing more than a phase - if it wasn't, then he would be the first Morrison who didn't sail.

"Dad, I told you, I don't want to go sailing today," Everett complained.

"I'm sorry, Everett, but this is when the race is," Phil said. "Either finish tying that knot and get on the sailboat, or skip the race for today."

Everett grumbled something to himself, but eventually, he gave in and got into the sailboat. "I just want to beat Sylvie for once," Everett told Phil.

Phil looked up to see his daughter Sylvie at the starting line, marked by the judges' motorboat and a buoy, along with several other junior sailors. "Maybe this will be the day," Phil said. "You can do it, Everett. I know that you can."

"Thanks, Dad," Everett said. Phil untied Everett's boat from the pier, and Everett set sail towards the starting line. Phil waved to his son, but he didn't wave back. He was too focused on speeding towards the starting line.

Phil sat on the pier, watching Sylvie and Everett sail back and forth behind the starting line. His mother sounded a horn to warn the sailors that there were five minutes until the race started, while his wife raised a white pennant. As the start of the race drew closer, the flags changed until the judges started the race.

To everyone's surprise, Everett was the first to cross the starting line. He zigzagged across the lake, with Sylvie not too far behind him. By the time he rounded the first buoy, it seemed like he would easily win the race. It would be nearly impossible for Sylvie to pass Everett if he was going downwind. Phil thought that the day when Everett beat Sylvie might have finally arrived.

Around the middle of the race, Theo Reinhart sat next to Phil on the pier. "Hi there, Phil," Theo said as he adjusted his round glasses. "Who's winning? I can't really tell from here."

"Everett's in the lead," Phil answered.

"Good for him," Theo said with a smile. "If Everett's boat is in first, then Eden must be in third. I've been trying to get her to practice, but she just can't seem to go in a straight line..."

"My kids had some trouble with that too," Phil said.

"How have they been by the way?" Theo asked. "I didn't get a chance to talk to Everett at the last yacht club party."

"I worry about Everett sometimes," Phil admitted. "Have your kids ever seemed like they wanted to quit sailing?"

"No," Theo answered. "Kelsey and Eden both love it. Did you hear that Kelsey is going to be on the sailing team at the University of Wisconsin?"

"Yes, you told me at the last yacht club party," Phil said.

"Sorry about that, then," Theo said. "I'm just so proud of my girls. They've both come so far. Anyways, does Everett really want to quit sailing?"

"I'm not sure, but it seems like it," Phil said.

"He should stick with it," Theo said. "Everett's a good sailor. I mean, he's about to win this race! No matter how you look at it, he's got a lot of talent."

"That's true," Phil said. "Maybe I can use that to convince him to stick with it."

Phil looked up again, and it seemed like Everett had gotten stuck. The wind had died down, and Sylvie had chosen just the right path to pass her younger brother. However, Everett was still in a close second. He just had to get a gust of wind to get him started again.