September 1, 2018

September 1, 2018

A few weeks went by, but I couldn't bring myself to enjoy the last days of summer when I knew that my entire family wanted to quit the yacht club. I did my best to win as many regular season races as I could, but what was the point? Next summer, I wouldn't be able to sail. I would never be able to race against the adults in the yacht club - when it came to sailing, I would always be a child.

School started during the last week of August, and unfortunately, I didn't have any classes with Véro, and I only shared my physics class with Eden. Everett was going to Clearwater Lake High School now, which was a little strange, but I put up with my little brother. Eden, Véro, and I had the same lunch period, however, and we used that time to chat about sailing or whatever else came to mind. Fifth period soon became my favorite time of day - some days, it was the only time that I got with the girl that I loved.

On the Saturday before Labor Day, I helped Mom, Dad, and Everett set up for the last yacht club party of the season. As I helped Mom place tables and chairs on the lawn, Dad turned on the classic rock station on the radio, but even the music couldn't distract me from the thought that this might be my last yacht club party ever. I would never get to eat food or talk to the other people in the yacht club by the lakeshore again, and it was all thanks to my parents. If Mom and Dad hadn't decided to quit, then I wouldn't have had to worry about any of this. I had to somehow convince them to change their minds.

Everett, as usual, complained about everything. "I put a bowl of chips on every table," Everett said. "Can I go inside now?"

"Not yet," Dad said. "Why don't you help Sylvie fill the coolers with drinks?"

Everett groaned and said, "I can't wait until next year. I'll have so much more free time if I don't have to go to these stupid parties."

"Shut up, Everett," I said as I put water bottles into the coolers.

"Aren't the Holloways and the Sterling-Staffords supposed to help us with this?" Everett asked me.

"They'll be here soon," I said.

"Do you know if Eden and Véro are coming?" Everett asked.

"Why do you care?" I replied.

"I'm just curious," Everett said.

"I'll text Véro," I said. I pulled out my phone and asked her if she was coming, but Dad noticed and told me to get back to work. I quickly shoved my phone back into my pocket and did as Dad asked, but when my phone buzzed, I pulled it back out of my pocket and told Everett, "Véro's coming for sure, and I think Eden's coming too."

A few minutes later, Véro walked outside and sat down in a chair next to me. "Hi Sylvie," Véro said. "Do you need any help?"

"That would be great," I said.

Véro helped Everett and I stuff drinks into the coolers, and when we were done, Véro asked, "What's next?"

"I don't know," I answered.

"Sylvie, some of the yacht club members are starting to arrive," Mom said. "Why don't you go greet them?"

Véro held my hand, and the two of us went out to the pier to wait for our guests to arrive. The Holloways were the first to show up, followed by the Reinharts and the Kaufmans. Louis and Everett, of course, ended up sharing memes on their phones and doing nothing important, so it was up to the rest of us to greet everyone coming to the party. After a while, it seemed like everyone had arrived except for the Sterling-Staffords. "Are we allowed to eat yet?" Véro asked. "I'm hungry."

"Me too," I said. "My dad got burgers and cheese curds from Culver's."

"That sounds amazing," Véro said. She adjusted her glasses and then said, "I think there's a motorboat coming this way."