August 11, 2018

August 11, 2018

Another week went by after the protest, but all we heard was more bad news. The Kauflins left Keep Clearwater Clear, Pigglyville continued to dump chemicals into the lake, and Mr. Stafford defended his statements about Keep Clearwater Clear, making it clear that he wasn't planning to apologize. My personal problems seemed insignificant in comparison to what was going on with Keep Clearwater Clear, and I tried not to dwell on them, but I couldn't help but think about Grandpa and Véro sometimes. I hoped that he would accept her someday, but in the meantime, I spent most of my free time with her, watching French reality TV in her arms and splitting our sundaes at Culver's.

That Saturday, after the regular and Junior League races, there was another yacht club party. I won the Junior League race, along with Véro, and as usual, Mom, Dad, and Véro's parents were there to congratulate us when we finished. Dad, Mr. Reinhart, and Mr. Arkoun were all in the middle of a conversation when we arrived at the pier, but Mom immediately went up to the boat and said, "Congratulations, you two. You both sailed very well."

"Thanks, Mom," I said as I climbed out of the boat. "Are we going to the yacht club party after this?"

"There's a yacht club party today?" Véro said.

"Yes, there's a yacht club party, and we'll leave as soon as you're ready," Mom said.

"I'll meet you there, Véro," I said as I headed into the house.

"See you soon, Sylvie," Véro said.

I got ready to leave, and Mom, Dad, Everett, and I all drove to the Holloways' house for the party. It was a short drive, and I spent most of it daydreaming about Véro. When we arrived at the Holloways' house, Grandma and Grandpa were already there. "Why don't you sit with us?" Grandma said, and all four of us did so.

"Are you sure I can't sit with Louis?" Everett complained.

"Don't be rude," Dad said.

I got up to get a can of soda, and when I got back, everyone was in the middle of a conversation about the Arkouns. "Did you really let them join the yacht club, Phil?" Grandpa asked Dad.

"We can always use more members," Dad said. "Besides, I already let Véro join, so it would only make sense to let her parents join as well."

Grandpa lowered his voice and said, "Sometimes the people in this yacht club disgust me. First, it was Greg Stafford and Pigglyville, and now it's those foreigners and their lesbian daughter."

"Edward, be nice," Grandma said. "The Arkouns just arrived."

I looked toward the front of the house and noticed the Arkouns' car parked on the street. Véro and her parents were heading toward the backyard, and Véro walked toward our table and sat next to me. "Hi Sylvie," she said.

"Véro, you might want to sit somewhere else," Grandpa said.

"Why?" Véro asked.

"A few other people are going to sit here," Grandpa said, but everyone else at the table gave him strange looks. If someone else other than Véro was planning to sit at our table, this was the first that we had heard of it.

Véro nodded and said, "I'll move to another table." She got up and moved to the next table over, where her parents were sitting.

Grandpa smiled and said, "Thank goodness that girl is gone."

"You didn't have to chase her off like that," Grandma said.

"She's a bad influence," Grandpa said.