NOWHERE MAN

CHAPTER FOUR 

                                                                           HONESTY

When John did not come down for breakfast the next morning (even though he'd gone to bed quite early), Mavis went up to make sure that he was all right.

Balancing his breakfast tray in one hand, she knocked softly. "John," she called, "Are you awake?"

When there was no reply, she knocked more sharply. "John," she called again, more loudly this time, "I've brought your breakfast!"

No answer.

Mavis sighed, and took the tray back downstairs, to keep it warm by the fire.

She set it upon the hearth and turned to see John, just beginning to sneak back up the stairs to his room. When their eyes met, he smiled sheepishly. He swayed slightly upon his feet.

"Where have you been?" she asked. "I never saw you leave."

"Ya weren't meant to see me go," he told her, walking unsteadily back down the stairs, "Ya weren't meant to see me come injust now, either, as I'm sure ye've surmised. I was avoidin' ya, Mavis, didn't ye think I would, bein' as ya know so bloody fuckin' much about me?"

He dropped into a chair, uttering a soft grunt.

"John, are you drunk so early in the day?" she scolded, standing over him. "It's not yet noon. Where were you, anyhow?"

"Yes, I am, a little, in answer to yer first question," he replied. "An' to yer second, although it's not actually yer business, I was at Birdsong McKinnon's cottage."

"Birdsong McKinnon! Well, that's very nice, John," she replied crossly. "I hope you'll be sure to get checked by Dr. Fenity to make sure you don't need any penicillin."

"I was careful," he said, lifting the cover from the tray. He picked up his coffee and took a long swallow. "Got anything to give this a little strength?" he asked. "I could use a bit of the hair o' th' dog," he added.

"I think you've had enough, don't you?" Mavis retorted. "You can barely stay upright."

"Oh, I can stay upright, me girl, don't even imagine otherwise," he said with a drunken leer. "Just ask Miss McKinnon."

Mavis opened her mouth to reply, thought better of it, and sat down beside him. Abruptly, she buried her face in her skirt and began to cry.

Something about seeing her break down like that snapped John halfway back to sobriety. Her bare legs and feet suddenly embarrassed him even though he had seen her sunning herself topless on more than one occasion. She seemed frail and helpless, even though he knew full well that she was one of the strongest women he had ever known, for all her youth.

"Whist, girl, no need for that," he said gently.

He reached for her, disentangled the skirt from her hands and face, and let its hem drop to the floor, covering her white feet. He lifted her from her chair and into his lap, stroking her hair, whispering to her that it would be all right.

Wrapping her arms about his neck, Mavis hid her face against his shoulder and continued to cry as though her heart would break.

"All right, then, let it come," he whispered, holding her close. "Get it outta yer system, and we'll go for a walk, afterwards."