NOWHERE MAN

"Thank God that's finally done." John said, wearily.

He leaned back in his seat, and watched the buildings slowly pass as the traffic crept along.

"I'm ready for a bite to eat, and bed," he remarked. 

Putting his arm about his wife's shoulders, he drew her close, and kissed her cheek gently. "How about you, woman?" he asked, with a twinkle in his eyes. "Are you ready for bed?"

Jasmine settled into the curve of her husband's shoulder, sighing softly. 

 "I have a few papers to sign; they have to be out in the mail first thing in the morning," she replied, a wistful smile upon her face.

John looked closely at her, and it struck him that he knew of no one else who could look so melancholy with a smile upon their lips. It was in the eyes, he decided. Right now, Jasmine's eyes seemed...burdened, somehow, as though their owner held the weight of the world upon her deceptively frail, thin shoulders. 

He wondered exactly how much his wife protected him. How many things were churning in her head that would upset him, if he had to think about them? There were some, he knew.

Every now and then, he would open a piece of mail, or catch the tail end of a phone conversation about some complicated business affair, and demand to know what it was all about. Sometimes, she would just smile and explain the matter to him, but at other times, her delicate face would take on a guarded look, and she would tell him that she could explain, but it would take hours, and, in the end, he wouldn't really understand.

Sometimes, he would sulk at that, but he didn't really care. John disliked business matters, and was quite happy to leave them in Jasmine's very capable hands. 

Lately, however, there seemed to be something more, something that he felt sure he really didn't want to know. Just lately, Jasmine seemed not merely harried; she seemed worried. She seemed afraid.

"Listen," said John quietly, his lips close to her ear, "Is there summat wrong? Ya don't seem yerself as of late. Would ya tell me what's been botherin' ya, please, sweetheart?"

Turning to look up into his worried face, she managed a trembling smile.

"It's nothing, John, honestly," she replied.

He wanted to believe her, but the look in her dark eyes chilled him so, he physically shivered. Her eyes seemed haunted, and he could tell that she was only trying to protect him, as usual, but this time he had the feeling it wasn't mere annoyance she was attempting to spare him. She was really, truly frightened.

He opened his mouth to say more, but the car had come to a stop, and the driver was coming around to open the door for them. They had arrived home.

"I wonder if Peter is still up," Jasmine said in a light voice, changing the subject deftly. "He had a long nap this afternoon, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was."

She got out of the car, and began to walk quickly to the gate. It was opened for her, and she looked around to see John getting out. She hoped that he would let the matter drop, that he would be distracted by their son, and forget to worry further about the fear he had obviously recognized in her eyes.

The truth was that she didn't really know what was wrong. She had been feeling uneasy all day, and by the time they left the studio, her emotions had reached a fever pitch, leaving her simply terrified. It was irrational, she knew, but there it was. She just couldn't shake the fear. Add to the feeling of dread the fact that all her astrological numbers were so bad today, and it was all she could do not to scream.