Lesson 3: How to start a fanfic?

You must be thinking that we have already covered the chapter, but no, this is an entirely different lesson. It deals with the starting of your fanfiction. The first chapter, prologue or introductory lines. 

The beginning of your story is extremely important because it is that first impression you are creating on the readers which will determine whether they want to continue reading or leave the book.

When I am reading stuff at Wattpad, if the first chapter is captivating I will most probably read the whole story no matter what topic or genre it is about. But if the first chapter is not well written, I wouldn't even bother to proceed to the continue reading tab.

In this chapter, I will be sharing with you all the many different ways to start a fanfic, the correct implementation of these ways and the relation of the starting with your fanfic.

***

There are many ways to start your story out of which I am discussing those that are most commonly used or have worked well for me.

1. Questions:

Starting a story with a question has been a trick to lure readers in since a very long time. Presenting your reader with a question, puzzle or a hypothetical situation builds up interest and connects immediately with him/her.

Consider the following opening line:

"Have you ever felt like you were stuck in the wrong place where you shouldn't have been? Or maybe like you don't exactly belong where you're currently in? That has been the case for me ever since I opened my eyes in this world."

_Excerpt taken from The Veil Of Time by Viola130831.

Note that the opening line is not only a question but also gives an insight into the narrator's mind. Such opening lines can be used easily in first person narratives or rather in stories where the author feels the need to establish an intimate environment with his/her readers.

It is a simple way to start a story but provides a sufficient hook to trap your audience. By reading these opening lines, a set of questions rises up in the readers mind and that is a good thing because as long as your reader wants to find answers to the questions he/she has regarding your story, it is more likely that he/she will be lured in to read further.

2. The Beginnings:

Another popular way to start a story is to start with a beginning. Usually high school stories begin from the first day at school or other stories begin with when the protagonist is born. Using a beginning to start your fanfiction or story is also much widely used.

Consider the following example:

"I was born in the city of Bombay...once upon a time. No, that won't do, there's no getting away from the date. I was born in Doctor Narlikar's Nursing Home on August 15th, 1947."

_Excerpt taken from Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie.

Usually such type of opening lines are used when the story clearly focuses on one person only who is either the narrator or the main character.

3. Universally Accepted Facts:

Sometimes, you can start your story with a universal truth or a fact concluded through judgement by many people. Such a starting sets the voice of the story but it should also be kept in mind that the truth/fact you are opening your story with must have a deep connection with your plot.