Lesson 14: What are the different types of writing styles you can use?

Writing Style is the way an author uses his/her voice and the tone to convey the story to his readers. Writing Style has a great influence on your story because if it appeals to the readers then your story will be read often but if it doesn't, then no matter how great the plot is, the story will be abandoned.

In fact there are some cases where the plot was cliché or not as exceptional but the writing style turned into something which we could not put down until we reached the last chapter.

In simple words, your writing style is something that comes from within and if you have that gift of an intriguing and compelling writing style then no one can stop you from churning out the best and most loved stories.

Types of Writing Styles

Yes, my friends, there are four specific types of writing styles but according to me these five types can further be classified into many categories. These writing styles are not limited to just writing novels and can be used in other creative or formal writing pieces as well such as essays, letters, news articles etc.

First, we will be discussing the types of writing styles and then I will share different types of writing styles I have come across myself.

1. Persuasive Writing Style: In this style, the author is intending to persuade the reader regarding some topic or event etc. It is often used in advertisements or essays where you have to present your inclination towards a certain topic or brand. In this type of writing style, the author takes a very direct approach with the reader, persuading them through the writing by making it appeal to them emotionally.

In fiction or fanfiction, you can find such scenes if the author is hinting towards a potential pairing and makes you see how perfect the couple is for each other. Main characteristics of this writing style include highlighting positive points, keeping the tone friendly (if it is in the first person narrative) and reeling the reader in by hitting an emotional chord.

Consider this example in which the author is persuading the readers that the lead characters of the fanfic are perfect for each other.

"The message of the day is, I love you with everything I have." Briar blushed, causing Dick to laugh and smile. "I knew you would blush!" Briar usually never blushes. He would casually roll his eyes and smile but barely blushed.

"Haha, you got me." Briar tried to be serious but broke out in a smile. God Briar love Dick so much. He made him a better person, made him laugh and smile way more than he had in the past year. He made him happy and he would be damned if he's going to let Bruce ruin them.

Dick felt the same way. Briar made him feel whole. He made him feel comfortable in his own skin. Made him feel okay with his sexuality (bisexual). He loves Briar so much. If Bruce ruins this for him he will never forgive him.

_Excerpt taken from Roses | Dick Grayson by icecoffeeluver

You can see how well it is written in sense of its style that it convinces the readers that Dick and Briar (the main characters) are perfect for each other. You can also notice the use of informal tone along with insight into what each of them feels for the other. This perfectly sums up what a persuasive writing style is when written from a positive approach.

And yes, you guess it right, there is another approach to do a persuasive writing style and that is to persuade your readers against something. Consider the opposite situation to the example I just gave, if the author was using a persuasive writing style to show us how a certain couple wouldn't work out.