Lesson 11: What is meant by the perfect plot twist?

The key tool used for giving your book an unexpected turn and lead on the readers down a path they had not initially thought of, is a cleverly thought out plot twist. Plot twists can be great when used effectively but if not done in the right way, they can also completely ruin your book/fanfic.

So let us discuss plot twists in detail; the ways to properly plant a plot twist, writing it effectively and making sure that it does not twist up your story far too unnecessarily.

***

What is meant by a plot twist (literally)?

A plot twist is an unexpected development in a book, film, TV show etc. In other words, a plot twist is a change in the expected direction or outcome of the plot of a novel, film, television series, comic, video game, or other work of narrative. It is a common practice in narration used to keep the interest of an audience, usually surprising them with a revelation.

Why are plot twists important?

Everyone loves surprises and plot twists ensure to give your readers a well earned surprise. The whole story builds up to the twist which in turn is revealed to the readers as a surprise. Writers take special pleasure in blowing the reader's mind away through introducing a clever plot twist. This not only makes the reader more involved, it also hooks him/her in the story to find out what would be the effects on the characters as well as the overall plot of the story after experiencing such a change.

What are the most essential attributes of a good plot twist?

1. It must be sound in terms of narration. That stated, you must keep n mind that the twist is not too random or out of the blue with respect to your story. Even though you are going to surprise readers, still you have to make it believable.

2. It must be unexpected. Readers like to think of possible scenes that may happen next while they are reading a book. So to create a good plot twist, you need to keep all the possible assumptions in mind and design a twist that does not meet the list of those assumptions.

3. It might be foreshadowed. Notice that with the above two points, a must was included however that's not the case for this one. Foreshadowing is totally your choice whether you want to do it or not. Personally, I like to foreshadow plot twists so that the reader can relate when he/she goes through the story again and discovers hints. This further establishes and strengthens the reader's connection and involvement to the story.

What are the seven main types of plot twists?

Following are the seven types of plot twists:

1. Anagnorisis: Anagnorisis literally means discovery. Therefore, any plot twist in which the main character discovers something which changes the whole perspective of the story is classified under this type.

2. Deus ex machina: It is a Latin word that means God out of the machine. It is the introduction of an unexpected event or person who solves the problem.

3. False protagonist: In this type, the main character is not the true main character and he/she is disposed off unexpectedly. From then on the plot takes a turn and it is revealed that the main character was actually some other person who totally escaped the reader's notice earlier but after the twist, the puzzle pieces fall into place and it all starts to make sense.

4. Peripeteia: Peripeteia is a sudden reversal of the protagonist's fortune, whether for good or ill, that emerges naturally from the character's circumstances.