CHAPTER 16

The beeping wouldn't stop. My head was heavy again. I wanted to scream. I felt like someone was banging drums in my head. I ran so fast that my feet couldn't carry me anymore. I reached a river and took a deep breath. I attempted jumping in but then my eyes opened. Judging by the brightness of the room, I was in hospital. I looked around and spotted Ndumiso sitting on the chair with his head bowed. I took off the oxygen mask and took the hugest risk ever, speaking.

"MkaNdumiso is hungry," I said with a hoarse voice. He jumped up and hugged me. I coughed.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry," he said looking at me smiling. He didn't look like himself. He was skinny and ugly. His hair had grown. Ndumiso usually keep his hair at the brushing level but now, only an afro comb could've combed his hair. He was so skinny that bones were poking his skin. Especially at the wrists and around the neck.

"And what happened to you?" I asked in the harshest way ever.

"You left me for 3 months. That's what happened," he replied. I looked at him stunned.

"3 months!?" I asked obviously shaken by this. He breathed out and nodded.

"I thought you were going to die Enhle. I thought you had left me," he said saddened by all this. It didn't even feel like I was gone for 3 months.

"I'm sorry Bhengu" He looked at me, still smiling and got hold of my hands and kissed them.

"Please don't ever do that to me again. Look at me, I'm a walking grave," he said looking at himself too. I wanted to laugh but held it in until he laughed first and I joined him. The room was then flooded by people.

"Enhle," Nobuhle said with tears in her eyes.

"Ntando. I'm thrilled to see you alive," Lubongwe said with the hugest smile on his face.

"MaNzima," Mlungisi said last. I looked over at Ndumiso and he just sighed and sat down. The door opened and HIM stood there.

"Can I come in?" he asked. Everybody looked at me.

"I don't want to fight," I said looking the other way.

"I also don't want to I just-"

"Then you will leave. I haven't even recovered yet and you're here already suffocating me," I said with both my hands up. "Lubongwe, tell your father to leave," I continued.

I heard the door closing and I turned back to them. Nobuhle, Mlungisi and Lubongwe walked out.

"When am I getting out of here? I miss my kids," I said looking at Ndumiso. I couldn't read his face.

"Ndumiso," I spoke. He raised his head.

"Don't tell me you still haven't found my kids Bhengu because I'll serious-"

"Hey ... shhhh. Your kids are okay. I kept them away from you. I didn't want them to see you like this," he replied next to me.

"And Mlungisi didn't fight you?"

"Well he did ... "

"Ndumiso I'm sorry okay"

"I'm just glad you're alive Enhle I almost ... "

"Almost what?"

"I'd rather not go there," he replied.

"Okay then, I wanna go home," I said to him. I was rushing to Stitch. He was going to fill me in because Ndumiso was wallowing. He went out and then returned with a doctor.

He first asked why he wasn't called first ... blah blah blah ...

"How do you feel?" the old white man asked after complaining. Oh boy oh boy ...