Pʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ - Hᴀᴘᴘʏ Dᴀʏꜱ (Gᴀᴠɪɴ)

[Trigger Warning: Major character death]

I was talking with my brother, Eli. He was the coolest person in the world! He bought me a gardening kit for my birthday, which was today! He convinced our parents to take me to a water park, he even had Chloe come over and help bake me a cake, even though she didn't like me too much.

The cake, he said, was back at home, and that I could eat it when I got there, which I was super excited for. He also said he had another present for me back at home, so I was eager when my mom said we were going to go back home.

I laughed and talked with Eli, both of us making our way back towards the car. "Shut up, you're going to make me sick with all that happiness, dipshit." Chloe said, flicking her hair like those dramatic white girls in the movies. "Well, sorry Chloe, but I think I'm entitled to being happy during my birthday." I said, smugly.

Chloe glared at me, muttering, "dipshit," and turning away. Eli and I laughed, joking about how that's the only word she knows. We all get in the car, and head home.

"Jeez, really, thank you Eli, this has been the best day of my life." I said, looking over to Eli. "Of course, you're my little brother, I'd do anything for you." He said, and he smiled at me. I felt happy that, for once, my family was focused completely on me and not Eli's extreme intelligence. Not that I was jealous about it, I'm glad I have a smart brother, it means I can have him do my homework, it's just that it seems like everyone except Eli forgot I exist.

"You didn't really have to do anything for me, though-" "Nonsense, I'd do everything if I could, because you're family."

Before I could say anything else, I heard Chloe scream, "Dad, watch out!" And before I knew it, a car slammed into the side of our car, and I blacked out for a minute.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••

"Gavin! Gavin, wake up!" I heard a voice say. It was Eli, he was shaking me. I could see the tears in his eyes. "Gavin, this isn't funny!" He yelled. I didn't get it, couldn't he see my eyes were open? Couldn't he tell I was alive?

"Mom, he's not breathing!" I heard another voice. Chloe. She was crying too. But she sounded, angry? "Yes, I was just in a car accident- My child was hurt, I need an ambulance- 20 minutes?! I need one here now, my baby is dying! Don't tell me to calm down, my child is almost dead an you're telling me 20 minutes!" I could hear my mom on the phone, yelling at the officer on the other end.

"Let him go Elijah, shaking him like that will only hurt him more." My dad said, not sounding too bothered. He never sounds bothered when something happens to me. I tried to say something, but nothing came out. "Shut UP! YOU NEVER CARE ABOUT HIM, DON'T TELL ME NOT TOO!" He yelled, turning his attention back towards me. "I love you, Gavin, you know that right? I love you so much, I want you to know that. You're the best little brother I ever could have had. Nothing can replace you, you hear me? Nothing! And I promise I never will, okay?"

I tried to move, but I couldn't. I was paralyzed. At the realization my heart stopped, and it never started again. Everything faded black again, and the last thing I ever saw was Elijah crying over me.