Take a Chance on Me

"How much lasagne did you say you made?"

"Like, enough to feed a whole family."

"And he ate half of that?"

"Yup."

"And now he's on a tub of ice cream."

"Yup. Good thing I just went grocery shopping. Though if we don't stop him we may need to go replenish our ice cream stock soon."

"Under normal circumstances I would fight him for that ice cream, but... I'm not willing to get between him and that tub."

"Yeaaah, me neither, to be honest. He may only have a spoon, but I don't trust it. Maybe he'll tire himself out eventually. You know, like a food coma."

"I've never known him to hold a scowl for this long before. Do you think his face will get stuck like that?"

"Oh man, I hope not. It's gotta be taking a lot of his energy to keep it up though."

"That's probably how he can manage to eat so much. Where does it even go? He's like a bean pole."

"I'm kinda worried, PIdge. If he keeps this up I just know he's gonna get sick. I'll rock, paper, scissors you for who has to go take that from him."

"No way, I'm not taking that chance. What we need is a replacement so he can keep up his anger munchies but not make himself sick off that ice cream."

"Oooh, yeah, that's a good idea. What'd you suggest?"

"Popcorn?"

"Alright, yeah, that's good. Good plan. But should we, like, ask him first or just start popping it and see if he comes around?"

"Definitely just start popping it. I've never known him to turn down popcorn. I'm not sure he'd answer us right now anyway. He kinda looks like he's in a weird... comatose state."

"Is it possible to even be in an angry coma?"

"I don't think it's all anger. I think half of it is embarrassment and disappointment and repressed feelings."

"I can hear you, you know." Lance says, turning his head to glare at his friends. He's sitting on the couch, knees pulled up to his chest with a tub of good old rocky road resting on them. His words are slurred slightly by the spoon in his mouth.

Hunk and Pidge both jump, turning to stare at him, wide-eyed.

"Oh, uh, hey buddy, how you doing?" Hunk says, but the last of his question is drowned out by Pidge's loud and dramatic declaration.

"He liiiives!" They throw their hands up, fingers curling.

Lance continues to glare at them, spoon in his mouth.

When they don't get a reaction, Pidge sighs, hopping off the counter where they had been sitting and moving toward the living room of the apartment.

"How do you feel about popcorn, Lance?" Hunk asks from the kitchen, but Lance can already hear him rummaging through the pantry.

"Movie theater butter?"

"Is there any other kind?"

"I guess that's fine then..." He grumbles begrudgingly, pulling the spoon form his mouth and staring at the ice cream. He doesn't really want more, but it's right there, so he might as well...

"Oh no you don't." Pidge says, reaching out to snatch the tub from it's precarious perch on his knees. Lance makes a wordless, pitiful sound of protest, reaching out to grab it back. Pidge slaps his hands away and holds out their hand. "Spoon."