Shape of You

Notes:
Hey guys! This chapter is where that M rating starts to come into play a little bit. If NSFW isn't really your thing and you'd rather skip it, it comes up at the end of the chapter. It's pretty easy to see it coming, so when it's too much, just end the chapter there. You won't be missing any important plot details. There's also a fourth slightly NSFW drawing that the artist Sora did for this chapter, but it's linked in the end notes so people who aren't into that sort of thing aren't forced to see it, so don't forget to check it out!
————————————
When he was ten, Lance learned how to surf.

They were on a family vacation. A big one. Aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, cousins, cousins. They rented out a house, right on the beach. It was cramped and most of them slept on the floor. You couldn't take three steps without stepping on someone or something, and the place was filled with voices, laughter, and the smell of spices at all hours of the day. His dad and uncle tried to teach all the kids to surf that summer, but only Lance really picked it up.

He loved it. Couldn't get enough.

He fell a lot at first, got frustrated a bunch, nearly gave up, but he stuck with it. And the first time he rode successfully through a wave, it was euphoric. Brought him back time and time again. Just to get another taste.

As he got older, he got better. Surfed at different beaches. Got a taste of different waters, different waves. Got a feel for different boards. He doesn't get to surf as much as he'd like, but he loves every second he gets. He gets rusty sometimes, but it's never hard to get back into the groove.

What he likes best about surfing, he thinks, is that it's an Experience. Capital E and everything.

Every time he surfs, it's always different. Always a different wave. Each unique and unlike any before it or any after it. Surfing is always surfing, no matter where he goes, but there are always things that make it a unique experience. The people. The water. The waves. The temperature. The beach. The season. The weather. Each variable combining into a special moment entirely of its own.

At it's heart, it's still surfing, but it's the excitement of each new time that keeps him coming back time and time again. The promise of something new. The unknown of what will happen the next time. The anticipation. Knowing he'll enjoy it but not knowing what this time will bring.

So yeah, surfing is an Experience.

As it turns out, kissing Keith is also an Experience for much the same reasons.

And just like surfing, Lance finds himself coming back time and time again, unable to help himself and unable to regret it.
—————————————

"And if you pause right after the beat drops, like—" He strikes a pose, waiting a moment for Pidge to strike one opposite of him. They've always done a good job keeping up with his jumbled thoughts as he works through dance moves. "Then pick it back up from here—" He moves, and Pidge moves with him. Slowly. Much slower than the actual beat of the song, but that's fine. They're just testing out movements. "You should be able to seamlessly shift into the next move here—" He demonstrates by stepping right into the already choreographed section they had shown him earlier, only going through a few moves before grabbing Pidge's hand and suddenly sending them into a twirl. "Ta-da!"

Hunk claps slowly from where he's watching from the sidelines, letting out a low whistle. "That looked great, Lance! Do you think you could, uh... go through all of that again? Slower? Maybe?"

He nods. "Yeah, no problem, buddy." Lance lets Pidge go, and they twirl a couple more times before coming to a definitive stop. No wobbling. No swaying. And Lance hadn't exactly spun them lightly. He put enough force into that to make the most sturdy of people dizzy. Yet here Pidge is, standing perfectly still and straight like it made no difference.