huit

Monday came around, but on this particular day there was less misery to be suffered than usual. 

Renjun grabbed five hours of sleep than usual last night — being unable to sleep was an unusual problem for him. He'd forced down some Red Bull and Lucozade (both of which he had stolen out of Chenle's locker) because he was unable to function on any less than eight hours of undisturbed rest. 

The reason he was currently growing more jittery by the second, why he'd been unable to sleep the night before? The Fair was kicking off on Monday night.

The Fair was a bit like their city's secret — something that didnt get out and didn't go in. A popup theme park that rented the huge green common at the centre of the city, built itself up in fits and starts of stands and rollercoasters, flashes of blue and green seen among the cranes — and then the white wall would come down at midnight, revealing the spectacle in all its dizzying, worrying glory. 

People lined up outside for hours before its opening, and a deafening cheer would erupt when they flooded in, and that noisy buzz would stick around for twenty-four hours, until the fair ended. It started at midnight, ended at midnight. It was iconic, dreamy, full of memories. It was Renjun's favourite thing ever. 

Some people skipped school or any other activities just so they could stay there for the whole time. Renjun wanted to do it, but he'd always gotten at least eight hours of sleep and he was pretty sure he'd just pass out on Jeno, and the poor boy would have to carry him home.

He and Jeno had gone together every single year since they had met, no exceptions, and it always turned out to be the best time of the year. It was one of their little things. It was a bit of a betrayal to go without the other. One year, Jeno had been away to see his grandparents, and Renjun had taken two shots of cough syrup and slept the Fair away.

Renjun just had to get through the school day. That was it. He located Jeno at lunch and pounced on him, literally. Apparently, the twenty doses of caffeine had finally kicked in. 

"Jeno! Tonight's gonna be fun! Funner than fun! I gone saved up so much money for this —"

"Renjun, that's my arm that you're crushing, just so you know." Jeno winced as Jisung and Chenle laughed beside them. Renjun let go of Jeno's arm, reluctantly, and began just tapping his foot on the floor, then bouncing slightly on the balls of his feet.

"Dang, why you so excited?" said Chenle, hopping with Renjun. Jisung yanked Jisung sideways and he almost fell onto the ground.

"It's probably because he ransacked your emergency caffeine supply," answered Jisung as Jeno put his hand on top of Renjun's head to stop him hopping. 

"No, it's not only that," rejoined Renjun, Jeno's hand still on his head. "The Fair's tonight! Aren't you hyped? It's gonna be so fun, I wonder if they'll have a new ride this year."

"I hope you'll go on the good rollercoasters this time," said Jeno tiredly, ruffling the hair on Renjun's head absently. "You didn't even have the balls to go near the new one last time."

Jisung tilted his head, "How come you two always go together?"

Renjun tilted his head questionably, as much as he could with Jeno's hand still on it anyway. "Yes? Why'd you ask?"

"Nothing," shrugged Jisung, but Chenle, who spectacularly lacked any inhibitions, continued for him. 

"It's just normal for people to just go as couples these days — and if you're not a couple, you're in a group." Jisung nodded faintly, though his brow was pinched in thought, sipping on some chocolate milk he had acquired from absolutely nowhere.