chapter two Part: one

Four months later

Lalita's Pov:

Pulling up to the back entrance of the Tacoma Dome my heart started to beat faster than normal. Any other time I would say my heart murmur and anxiety were working against each other but today I knew exactly what was going on. Today is the first day of the state basketball tournament. I've never been so nervous yet excited at the same time; a smile crept up on my face as the bus doors opened. Growing up in Washington, playing at the Tacoma Dome is something every athlete here dreams of. Here is where you graduate if you live in the area, there are concerts held here, here is where high school sport battle for state champion titles for their schools, and every once and awhile a WNBA or NBA game will be held her when the Key Arena in Seattle is being worked on.

These past few days have been hectic for me. Between these difficult ass practices and these extra work out I've been putting myself through to be ready for today I've been feeling like at any moment my body is just going to give out. It must be my adrenaline pumping today because I feel perfectly fine.

Getting off the bus I smiled and thanked the bus driver, but the smile faded almost immediately when I saw my face. My left eye was blacken, my bottom lip had a little cut it from getting it busted almost every practice for the last 4 days and I had a gash under my right eye from getting elbowed. I looked like Anthony after he got himself put onto a gang. Damn I miss my brother, I'd do anything to hear one of his pep talks right now but honestly the closest I'd get to him right now are these shoes he bought me a little before him being murdered. Hugging the shoe box a little tighter, I felt a little tear form. Quickly wiping it away with my thumb I took a deep breath. I promised myself I wouldn't cry again and I haven't since Anthony's candle light and that's exactly what I'll do.

Walking through the crowd of students, friends, and family members I spotted Santana and Austin. Coach's orders were to go straight to the locker room and "don't stop for anyone or anything" so that's exactly what I'm doing. Coach already announce the starting 5 for today and I'll be damn if I fuck that up by a simple ass "hello".

Hugging the box of black, white, and gold KD's that Anthony bought me I heard his voice in the back of my head "poota I bought you these but promise me you're not gonna' wear these until you and your team makes it to the dome"

"Your supposed to be here" I accidentally said out loud. "huh?" my teammate Brittany asked. "nothing" I said above a whisper while picking up my pace so I could get to the locker room quicker. Walking past court one to get to the locker room I seen a girl being carried off the court while holding her ankle and screaming at the top of her lungs. I instantly started to get nervous. I've been injury free for the last year and a half and I plan to stay that way. Throughout my life I had 6 concussions; all basketball related. My doctor told me IF I live through another one I'll more than likely be handicap. To me if I die, it'll be worth it. I'll die doing what I love.

Making to the locker room finally my stomach started to feel uneasy. Running to the bathroom that was inside the locker room I threw up the little bit of subway and Gatorade I managed to get down do to my nervousness. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and flushed the toilet. Heading over to the sink, I washed my hands and rinsed my mouth out with the travel size Listerine mouth wash I carry around in my gym. One of the girls on my team by the name of jasmine threw one of her thumbs up as if to ask me if I was okay. I nodded my head yes and sat down taking a deep breath, and seconds later let it out.

Jasmine and I actually gained a strong bond over the last couple of weeks. Coach has had us doing these hard ass drills where we hurt each other in order for us to be ready for this state tournament. As you can tell these games get physical as fuck. Everyone is battling in hopes of getting a scholarship so they can get the hell up out of here and make something out of their lives.