Jake {1}

"Ah, Detective Y/L/N." My new boss said as he greeted me off the elevator. Just breath you'll do fine, you're a great detective, just be yourself.

"Hello Captain. It's a pleasure to meet you. I look forward to being a part of the team." I shook hands with my Captain and he started walking to the desks in the bullpen.

"The feeling is mutual. We are pleased to have you." The captain stopped in front of a plain, clean desk which had one facing it. Except the other one was full of Knick-knacks and toys.

"This will be your desk. Your desk partner is Detective Jake Peralta. He is currently working a case but should be back shortly." I continued to nod my head as Captain explained how things worked around the precinct. I followed as he showed me the break room, his office, the evidence room and we ended up back at my desk.

"Briefing will commence at 10:15 sharp." Yes! Enough time to grab something from the vending machine!

——

"Oh come on!" I muttered under my breath angrily while staring at the breakfast bar that was hanging on for dear life in the vending machine. It just stayed there, mocking me.
Today was my first day starting at my new precinct, The 99th under the command of Captain Holt. Let's just say it wasn't going as smooth as I hoped. My Uber was late, we caught every red light, luckily I made it on time. I couldn't imagine what would happen if I was late on my first day! Now my breakfast was stuck. In one last attempt I banged a few times on the glass trying to shake the bar loose to no avail. I growled lowly and heard a chuckle behind me.
"Let me." A man wearing a plaid shirt said and stepped towards me. He banged twice on the  upper right corner then in the middle of the class. Just like magic the breakfast bar fell. My saviour picked it up and turned towards me. In that moment I was met with the most beautiful dark brown eyes. We kept eye contact for a few seconds before the man made a goofy face and held up the breakfast bar.

"Oh sweet baby!" I cheered grabbing the bar from the man's hand.

"Woah! Can I at least get your name first. I'm Jake Peralta." The man laughed. Oh he's Jake! I actually forgot he was there. I stopped devouring my breakfast and looked up.

"Right! Hi! I'm—" I started to tell him my name but was caught off by Captain Holt announcing the start of the briefing. Jake grabbed my shoulder.

"I'm really sorry I gotta get in there." He stated and left me and my breakfast bar standing in the hallway. I waited till everyone was in the room then entered and waited by Captain Holt at the podium. Jake sat at the table talking to a few people before Captain cleared his throat. All eyes were on is. Well Jake's were on me.

"Alright everyone. First order of business, this is our newest Detective. Detective Y/N Y/L/N."

"Woah!" A low surprised mutter was heard from the sea of officers and my eyes traveled the crowd for the source, which ended up to be Jake. Captain Holt looked from me to Jake and back to me before continuing.

"Detective Y/L/N is joining us from the 63rd precinct. So let's give her a warm 99 welcome." Before I could say anything the whole room erupted with people cheering.

"Nine-nine!" In the midst of that commotion, Jake was 'whispering' under his breath.

"Woah. Woah. Woah. Okay. Okay. Okay. Cool. Cool. Cool. Cool. Cool. Cool."

I might have had a bad morning but for some reason I could tell I was gonna like being at the 99.