Jake {2}

The orders were simple. Follow, do not make contact. Be ready but do not intervene until necessary. Do not draw attention to the situation. I sat a few rows down from the target with sunglasses on and a news paper in hand. There weren't many people on the bus. An elderly woman sitting close to the front. A man in his 30's with a little girl holding his hand. A few teen boys with headphones around their necks and her. The target, Y/N Y/L/N. Her case started late last night. Rosa and Charles brought her to the precinct after we got a call about a murder in an abandoned lot. Y/N was the only witness. Based on her description of the men in the interview, we soon realized what she witnessed was an execution of one of the Mafia's main men. Somehow they caught wind of it and we have reason to believe that they are now after her. Captain Holt ordered that there be three detectives with her at all times. Right now Terry and Rosa are in cars around the bus and I'm just a few rows away. Of course she doesn't know we're here, all she was told was that she would be protected by the detectives she met.
-
The bus driver once again noted that we would be pulling over at stop 392 shortly and Y/N got up to head to the door.

"She's getting off." I warned through the radio in my ear signalling for Terry and Rosa to park close by. I saw Rosa pull her motorcycle over to the corner on the next street but Terry was nowhere in sight. They both responded with an all clear just as the bus pulled over. Y/N stepped off the bus and thankfully none of the other passengers followed her. I did a quick sweep of the bus one last time to see if any of them were keeping their eyes on her a little too long when I noticed a wallet where she was previously sitting. It was a spur of the moment plan but it happened. I disobeyed a command.

"Hey! Miss!" I shouted and sprinted off the bus into the street. I looked at a few different faces before seeing who I was looking for. "Miss!" This time she turned and I waved the small wallet around so she would realize what was going on. Y/N smiled and briskly started walking towards me. What a wrong decision that was. Out of no where, many screams erupted. When I turned to look, time seemed to slow down. A black car came speeding down the street. Y/N was right in its path. In a split second I saw the face of the driver and new this was no accident. This was a planned hit to tie up a loose end. She stood there motionless, her Y/E/C eyes filled with shock. Without thinking I jumped into action and pulled Y/N out of the road just in the Knick of time. The car zoomed passed and crashed into a light post across the street. It quickly went up in flames. The adrenaline quickly faded and I realized Y/N had landed on top of me with my arms wrapped around her torso. I sat up as Terry and Rosa got there still keeping my arms around the shaking girl who had silent tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Hey, its alright. You're okay." I whispered soothingly and brushed some of her Y/H/C hair from her face. Rosa and Terry had their guns drawn in case another attack came but the crowd of people quickly moved to see the flaming car. She wasn't shaking anymore and there were only a few sniffles left. Y/N raised her head to look at me, her beautiful eyes meeting mine.

"Jake. Please don't leave me." Just from those words I knew I wouldn't stop until Y/N was safe. I couldn't shake the feeling of warmth I got when I was around her, the need to protect her.

"I won't."