Chapter 1

"Anika." He walked to her after spending an hour to gather courage. She was seated by the pool, looking away.

She turned to him. Emptiness etched over her face.

He took a deep breath. "Ahh..I meant it, down there. I am sorry. Very sorry. I...I know, I understand, I regret it. I was enraged and helpless. Priyanka's condition made me worse. I was wrong and I am very sorry."

She smiled. A genuine smile, with eyes that threatened to bleed with hurt. "Congratulations Shivaay. Happiness is back home. You were painted a hero, down there before the press. Tomorrow's headlines will say, 'Shivaay Singh Oberoi Takes A Stand For Women.' , 'Businessman Shivaay Singh Oberoi A True Gentleman, Apologizes To His Wife', ' Shivaay Singh Oberoi Speaks Up For Women'."

He stared at her.

"You are a businessman. A very clever one. You know how to sell yourself, don't you? There will be NGOs wanting you to be their face, There will be news, And Your name soars high. Who cares to see how low you stooped? 

No one." She smiled.

"One sorry. Was enough. " she struggled to keep her hurt but failed. Her words trembled. Did she really have no self respect? No, she did have. It was he who didn't value it. She could never forget that day. The day he shattered her only dream that was coming true. To be married, to be loved, to be someone's wife. She would never forget how he made her cry and beg him to not marry her. She would never forget how he tarnished her reputation before people who mattered to her. How he claimed that she had spent nights with him! How he claimed her to be a woman who warmed men's bed. How he broke her nuptial chain and declared her his mistress. His 'Rakhel'.

"One sorry was enough, Mr. Oberoi, why these precious words?" Tears streamed down her face. Hot like lava, heated in the fire. The fire that burnt her self respect and her dignity. A fire that turned to ashes her dreams of a happily married life. She hated him. Only stark hate. Nothing more, nothing less.

"Anika,..I.." He held her hands, slowly his eyes moist and guilt overflowing. He had never seen something break more vulnerably than her voice. He had never seen something so shattered than her trembling body. He had never seen so much devastation as much as he saw in her eyes.

"Sorry!" He pleaded. 

"No.no. " she wiped her tears. Leaving his hand. "Don't Mr. Oberoi, No. Your words are precious. So is your time. Don't squander your precious on me. "

"Enough. Please. Anika. " he raised his voice helpless. Her taunts hit him bad. Her every word was like a bullet to his heart. 

She looked at him hurt. He did not have the courage to listen to his deeds, while she had been subject to them. Fair play, very fair.

"I know, I have wronged you and there is no right I can do now. I cannot turn back time. I cannot change anything. But, I can correct my mistake. Please give me a chance. Please Anika. I am sorry. " he said holding her elbows and trying to make her look at him. Even though she saw in his direction she as not looking at him. She was away, somewhere far away. 

"Enough." She stepped back. "What do you want now?"

"Punish me!" He said looking at her. He knew he deserved a punishment for his wrongs. 

She smiled again. A hollow smile. A smile that barely climbed her cheeks, forget the eyes. She had forgotten how to smile.

"Shivaay, who am I to punish you?" She smiled. "I am what did you call me the other day, a gold digger, unworthy? What else? How can I?"

He gazed at her. His pain reflected in his gaze. But ,his heart felt the pain she had been through. 

"Punish me Anika. You have every damn right to. Punish me! I promise I won't protest."

She looked at him. "I am not you!"

"Then be me. Settle this. I can't see you in pain."

She laughed her eyes burning but still managing tears. "Giving you pain won't wipe away the pain you gave me Shivaay. "

"But it will let me feel what I gave you. I deserve it and desire it."

"Mr. Shivaay Singh Oberoi, you are too weak. " she said with venom filled expression. She slowly touched his chest. "You won't be able to take it." 

"Try me Anika?" He said now still, his gaze fixed and his fingers curled into a fist.

Anika looked at him annoyed. She walked past him. She was mad right now. He wants pain right? Fine. Enraged she  descended down the stairs.

Once she left, he fell to the floor and was know kneeling. "What have I done Anika? What have I done to you! Will I ever be able to forgive myself?"

He cried. When had he started feeling so much for her. He had not the slightest clue. He wiped his tears. "I promise Anika I will give you all that you deserve and more. A happily married life with never ending joy. In your every moment you will live. I promise Anika." He sat in silence gathering himself. Guilt seemed to be filled between the cells in his body. Those flashes of memory, came back to pinch him. They pinched hard.  Hearing some sounds from the too he walked inside.

He froze when he saw her standing there like that. Eyes wide open and hurt struck face. 

------------

Don't forget to vote and comment!

-Anami!

-------------