Chapter 2: The Fellowship

A gentle beam of sunlight shone into the room and coaxed Rushil from her slumber. She stirred with a deep breath as her eyes fluttered open.

"Good morning, Rushil," Arwen sat beside her friend on the bed, holding a tray of food. "The nobles have already eaten their breakfast so I brought your meal up to you."

Rushil pushed herself up with her arms and gratefully accepted the tray onto her lap. "Thank you." She looked down at the food eagerly, suddenly realizing the gnawing pain in her stomach. As she ate, Arwen looked through a pile of dresses for one her friend could wear.

"The council will be held as soon as you arrive in the hall," Arwen held up one dress and observed it in the sunlight. "Father wanted you to sit through the council as you always have and hear your opinion on the matters that are discussed." The first dress did not please her and she cast it aside to observe another. "Of course, if you feel well enough. He holds you in regard of a lord and treats you like a princess of Rivendell." A smile lit up her face as she finally found a dress she liked. She laid it on the bed and began to braid sections of Rushil's hair as she finished her meal.

"I know," Rushil set the tray aside, "and I appreciate his love, but he shouldn't have postponed the council for me. Matters of as much importance as he says should not be put off."

Arwen helped her friend up from the bed and handed her the dress. "You know that you have not missed a single council in centuries! They would not be nearly as productive without your input."

Rushil slipped the dress over her head and pulled her arms through the sleeves. "I'm sure they would be just as efficient without my presence as they were before I was born and will continue to be with or without me."

When she was dressed and her hair was fixed to Arwen's satisfaction, they both gazed into the mirror. "Fearsome warriors always seem to be the most beautiful," Arwen whispered with a smile. "And yet they are the ones who never want to settle for a man."

This gained a snort in a reply, "Why settle when we can have the world?"

Arwen shook her head and gave her a shove toward the door, "You're ready."

Rushil tried to resist the hands that pushed her out of the room. "Ready for what?"

But, the door promptly closed behind her and then opened again a moment later as Arwen spoke through the small crack, "Just remember to stay calm, and you look beautiful." Then the door closed firmly.

Rushil stood in the empty hallway and stared blankly at the closed door, bewildered by her friend's last words. 'Stay calm', but there was nothing to startle her. What could she possibly have meant? With a shrug, she walked down the hallway toward the council hall. There wasn't much point to pondering Arwen's behavior.

The morning path was quiet and she soon reached the patio where councils were held. She paused a moment as she saw the semicircle of nobles gathered together. It wasn't fear that filled her, but her pulse quickened. Perhaps anticipation? Whatever it was, she dismissed it by straightening her posture. Standing tall with her shoulders back and chin up, she entered their sight.

The nobles stood in conversation when she entered, but Lord Elrond separated himself from the group to greet her. "Good morning, Rushil," he smiled as he took her hands into his own.

"Good morning."

He then turned and led her to the gathered lords and leaders. "Lady Rushil has arrived," he announced. The conversations among the nobles instantly stopped at this comment as their attention shifted. Rushil cheeks flushed a light shade of pink as they bowed their heads in respect.