Chapter 4: Lothlórien

Rushil awoke in a tent and slowly stirred from her slumber, sleep lifting from her eyes. She sat up on a mattress, her dress flowing with her body as she stood. A moment passed as Rushil became aware of her pain. She rolled up the sleeve of her dress and saw a scar where the arrow had hit her arm. It was miraculously fully healed.

She then pulled back the flap of the tent and a gust cold air from outside rush in which she breathed in eagerly and allowed to brush against her. A slight chill traveled over her body as she stepped outside into the cooler temperature and began to walk among the trees. Rivendell would hold a special place in her heart, but Lothlórien was something else. She always felt at home here.

Rivendell was where Rushil grew up as a child, but Lothlórien was her birthplace. Her mother had sailed for Valinor when she was little, leaving her daughter with the memory of her beauty and grace. Young Rushil remained with her father, but he was later killed by orcs on an expedition, and she was alone in Rivendell. Rushil had wandered through the streets for food until Lord Elrond saw the little elf one day, and Arwen instantly loved her as a sister. She was taken in and flourished remarkably in their care, accepting the pair as her family since she had none.

Rushil continued down a path, comfort filling her as her surroundings became familiar again when a woman suddenly appeared silently walking by her side.

"Aunt Galadriel!" Rushil stopped quickly and bowed as she was surprised by her aunt's presence. "Stealth has not left you."

The elf laughed and lifted her niece's head by placing a hand under her chin. "Rushil, you need not hide your troubles from me; I know many things plague you. Tell me of them."

"My own troubles are nothing," Rushil replied as they continued walking.

"You fear you are weak."

"I am. I have been struck down by things any man would not have been."

Galadriel stopped and put her hand to Rushil's cheek. "You are one of the strongest warriors I have ever known. Your mother would be so proud, and your father, amazed. Do not be afraid that you cannot be loved because you think you are weak."

Rushil searched her aunt's eyes and found it to be the truth.

"Now, go back to your friends," she smiled warmly and kissed Rushil's forehead as the niece closed her eyes to receive it. "They all love you so much and some more than others."

When Rushil opened her eyes, she found herself to be a few steps away from where the Fellowship was setting up camp. Her figure was hidden from their view, blocked by a tree while she paused a moment to observe the group in their moment of peace.

"I hope Rushil fully heals," Legolas commented absentmindedly to Aragorn as he stood in the moonlight. His eyes looked up at the sky as if searching for a cure from the heavens.

Aragorn sat on a nearby tree root and casually cleaned his sword, "The healers here are very skilled. I am sure she will be fine."

"I know," Legolas sighed. "I suppose I can't help but worry a little about her condition. I only wish she would tell us when she is injured, especially when it involves poison."

"She should," Aragorn chuckled lightly as he sheathed his sword and stood. He placed a hand on his friend's shoulder. "But Rushil wants to prove her strength. After all the years the three of us have fought together, she has been stubborn and hid her feminine side. She knows she can never fully match the strength of a man, but she is perhaps more of a man than both of us combined."

Legolas smiled and nodded, "That is true. I am honored to fight beside her."

"As am I." Their eyes met for a moment and both smiled.

Rushil stepped out from behind her tree and walked out into the open toward them. Their eyes shifted to her figure and Legolas ran to her. "Why did you keep your wound a secret?" he scolded her, tossing aside his usual calm nature and flowing words. "Matters like poison are not to be dealt with lightly especially among close friends. If you might die, I need to know why." The sharp tone in his voice had settled and he spoke quietly to her, "Then I might have a chance of saving you."

She didn't answer but looked into his eyes apologetically.

He sighed and wrapped his arms around her, holding her in a firm hug. "Promise me that you won't ever hide anything like that from me again," he whispered into her hair.

"I promise," Rushil closed her eyes as she wrapped her arms around him, leaning her head against his shoulder.

"Rushil!" the hobbits suddenly ran to her, their hugs separating her from Legolas. She laughed and bent down to match their height as she was surrounded.

Pippin then took her hand and pulled her inside a tent. "I helped set up a mat for you in case you woke up," he smiled with pride as he showed her his work. He released her hand and took up Rushil's bundle of old clothes and bow and quiver. "I also thought you might want these for tomorrow's trip."

"If she is well enough to go," Legolas appeared behind Rushil, a tone in his voice that gave her the impression he wasn't afraid to forbid her leaving.

"Legolas, I feel fine, and I'm sure you won't let me out of your sight long enough for anything bad to happen. Please, don't worry."

Aragorn then entered the tent. "If anything, sleep is most important for Rushil's full recovery."

Rushil smiled in thanks and Aragorn nodded his head in acknowledgment of this as the members said goodnight, leaving the tent together. She stood a moment in silence, listening to the insects outside before lying down on her mat and sleeping.

The next morning, the boats were loaded with supplies and Galadriel spoke to Rushil before the Fellowship departed. "Rushil, I have something for you," the aunt said, opening her hand to reveal a necklace with a glass eagle on its chain.

Rushil placed her bow over her shoulder and took the necklace curiously. "I've never seen anything like this, what is it?" she said, marveling at the eagle.

"It is the last one of its kind," Galadriel took the chain and placed it around Rushil's neck, tightening the clasp. "This is the necklace of Manwë." She stepped back and looked into her niece's eyes. "It will transform you to look like anything you wish; any creature, plant, or object. But it only works for those with good intentions and only for three days time. You will know the spell to chant when the time comes."

"Thank you, Aunt Galadriel. I will use it well."

"I know, my dear. May it keep you safe and serve you well in a time of need." Galadriel smiled and placed a strand of Rushil's hair behind her ear. "Go with my blessing and see Haldir before you leave. I believe he has something for you as well."

Rushil bowed and left reluctantly, walking back to the beach where the Fellowship would depart. Haldir saw her on her way and gave her a new bow, quiver, and arrows.

"These are our finest weapons," he smiled, "for our finest warriors."

Rushil smiled and took them gratefully, stepping across the beach shore and into a boat. She left her old weapons with Haldir, telling him to send them to Lord Elrond in Rivendell with a message that she was safe and continuing on the journey.